Resident Handbook Introduction
Letter of Commitment/
Accreditation Status Disclaimer
Administration & Governance - Graduate Medical Education Programs
Policies & Procedures
Salaries & Benefits
Appendix 1 - Resident Agreements (Medical and Dental)
Appendix 2 - Evaluation Forms
Appendix 3 - Forms
Appendix 4 - Scopes of Practice
Appendix 5 - Program Director/Program Coordinator Resources
SELECTION OF RESIDENTS
STATEMENT OF POLICY
Residents are selected on a fair and equal basis without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin or sexual orientation. Selection is based upon the applicant's preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, interpersonal and written communication skills.
- All programs are encouraged to participate in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
- Only applicants with qualifications as required by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education are considered eligible for residency positions.
- All applicants are required to complete an application form and submit this along with board scores, letters of reference, a dean's letter, and a medical school transcript. All applicants must have successfully passed USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 exams (or the equivalent COMLEX Step 3 Exam or MCCQE Parts I and II).
- Each department compiles the data and prepares a personal record on each applicant.
- The department's Resident Selection Committee (consisting of appointed faculty and residents) screens applications according to established departmental criteria and selects applicants for interview.
- A personal interview is granted to those applicants selected through the screening process. During this interview, applicants are informed of the terms and conditions of appointment, stipend, annual leave, professional leave, maternity/paternity leave, sick leave, professional liability insurance, hospital and insurance benefits, call rooms, meals, laundry, etc.
- At the end of the interviewing period, the Resident Selection Committee objectively evaluates each candidate and prepares a list of applicants in rank order, which is then entered for participation in the NRMP.
- Any resident who has a disability (according to the Americans with Disabilities Act) and/or special restrictions on his/her medical license MUST report this information to the Program Director and the GME Office no later than the first day his/her residency program begins.