College of Graduate Studies
PhD in the Biomedical Sciences
No single metric is used to assess applicants, but rather a broader picture of the candidate's qualities is considered by our Admissions Committee. Applicants more likely to be considered favorably will meet the following requirements/guidelines.
- Possess Bachelor's degree or equivalent from a recognized institution
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Have competitive scores on the GRE General test (above 60th percentile) for both Verbal and Quantitative sections
- Submit transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
- Submit reference letters from 3 individuals (References should address the applicant's aptitude for research when possible)
- Provide evidence of research experience (except applicants who are interested in Biostatistics or Epidemiology and have majored in math or a similar field)
Once an application is complete it is sent for evaluation to the Graduate Admissions Committee. Selected applicants are invited to visit the campus and the cost of the visit is partially defrayed by the College. The visit is composed of interviews with members of the Graduate Admissions Committee, campus tours, introduction to the graduate training programs and discussion with faculty. After an applicant is interviewed, the Graduate Admissions Committee meets to decide on the qualifications of each applicant. Applicants are notified within a week or two of the interview of the Graduate Admissions Committee decision.
Tentative dates of interview weekends for 2018 are: TBD
To apply to the PhD program click here.