College of Graduate Studies
NOTE: You must commit to the entire program. Program dates are May 29, 2017 – August 4, 2017
Applications***This statement will be evaluated closely in our selection process
Application materials for the Summer Undergraduate Research Program (SURP) include:
1. Application form
2. An official transcript of all college work (from each institution attended). Only official transcripts are accepted. MUSC SURP does not accept unsealed (opened) transcripts. If you send an unofficial transcript your application will be considered incomplete and you will not be considered for review.
Transcripts can be sent electronically from your registrar’s office or If your school does not offer electronic transcript submissions please send your official transcript via regular mail, express mail, FedEx but it must be received by the application deadline.
PLEASE NOTE: ALL TRANSCRIPTS must be in a sealed envelope with the registrar’s stamp or signature across the back of the sealed envelope.
Electronic submissions via e-mail must be sent by your registrar’s office to: email@example.com
Mailed transcripts to:
Ms. Stephanie Brown-Guion, MSM
Director of MUSC Summer Programs
68 President St MSC 501
Charleston, SC 29425
3. Two academic letters of recommendation from faculty at your current school who are familiar with your science coursework are required. These letters must be written on the school’s letterhead and signed by the faculty recommender. You will be required to provide the names and e-mail addresses of two (2) faculty who will write your recommendation letters at the time you submit your application.
You must provide the names and e-mail addresses of the faculty that will write your letters of recommendation on your application. A link will be sent to the recommender to attach their letter.
It is your responsibility to follow up with your faculty recommender; we do not let applicants know if letters are received.
4. Application for Summer 2017
The application closes 11:59 February 1, 2017.
The application includes demographic information. You must provide all information in this area, including phone numbers and two separate e-mail addresses. You will also write a 500 word personal statement that answers the following:
- Why you are applying to the MUSC Summer Undergraduate Research Program
- Your career goals
- Any past experiences that have led to your interest in research
- Research experience
- Additional information why you should be selected for the program
Our goal is to notify applicants of their acceptance to the program by mid-March via email. However, notifications can be as late as mid-April in some instances.
After all notices of acceptance are made, applicants will be required to submit additional information. A packet of forms will be e-mailed to you and must be completed and returned upon receipt. You will be required to agree to a criminal background check and a drug screen test in accordance with the offices of MUSC HR and Risk Management. Failure to pass these will result in an automatic rescinding of your acceptance into the MUSC SURP program.
The Application deadline is February 1, 2017. All Application materials (application and transcripts) must be received by February 1, 2017. Incomplete applications will not be considered for review. No exceptions will be made.