Histotechnology Certificate program
Histotechnology Certificate Program
About the Program
Beginning Fall 2017, the MUSC Histotechnology Training Program will accept students through an affiliation agreement with the University of North Dakota (UND). UND will deliver course content online via Blackboard; all clinical experience will take place in the MUSC laboratories. The entire curriculum is performed at MUSC; there is no residency requirement at UND.
The MUSC laboratories offer a comprehensive histology rotation including:
- Routine histology
- Special stains
- Electron microscopy
- Autopsy rotation (optional)
About the UND Histotechnician Program
The HT program is offered through the Department of Medical Laboratory Science at the UND School of Medicine. The online program is two semesters (approximately 9 months) in length.
Start dates: January, May, or August. MUSC will accept 2 students in January and August. May acceptance is dependent on laboratory staffing.
Fall semester - June 1
Spring semester - November 1
For specific information about the UND Histotechnology curriculum, please visit their website.
MUSC Clinical Affiliation Application
Applicants must first be accepted by MUSC before application to UND. MUSC application requirements are:
- Completed initial application
- Official or unofficial academic transcripts for review by the Education Coordinator
After completing the initial application online, please email to Karen Pregnall.
Please note: applicants who wish to enroll in the UND Histotechnology program with MUSC as a clinical affiliate must meet specific requirements. These requirements will be reviewed prior to recommendation for submitting an application to UND.
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 30 semester hours of biology and chemistry courses (must include both). Recommended courses include: Microbiology, Immunology, and Anatomy & Physiology
- Three semester hours of college algebra or higher-level math
- Minimum grade point average of 2.8 (on a 4.0 scale) on core courses (science and math)
The UND program prepares students for the ASCP Histotechnician certification exam. Students at MUSC will be provided additional instruction and resources to prepare for the ASCP Histotechnologists certification exam and will be eligible to sit for the HTL certification exam. The ASCP outlines the roles of histotechnicians and histotechnologists.
MUSC-Specific Required Documentation
After acceptance into the UND HT program and prior to beginning the clinical rotation at MUSC, the following forms must be submitted to MUSC Human Resources:
- Career Exploration and Request
- Confidentiality and Consent Form
- Completion of careLearning module (additional fee: $10)