- Does the neighborhood look safe and clean?
- Are the grounds of the dwelling well kept? Who is responsible for the upkeep, you or the landlord?
- Where do you pick up your mail? Are there individual mailboxes? Where are they located?
- Are there dead-bolt locks on the doors? Can windows be locked? Are screens furnished?
- How many electrical outlets are in each room?
- Do you need special outlets to accommodate computers, microwaves, etc?
- Is there enough closet space or an additional storage area?
- Look under the sink. Does there appear to be any water damage or evidence of bugs?
- Look at the ceilings throughout the facility. Do you see any evidence of water damage?
- Are the walls damaged in any way?
- Will the apartment be painted before you move in?
- Is the carpet or floor covering in good shape?
- Can you get an estimate on previous utility bills?
- Can you talk with previous tenants?
- Try and talk with some of the neighbors about the area.
- Is there a shopping area nearby?
- What are your parking options?
- Does the landlord allow pets? If so, is there a pet deposit and is it refundable?
- Is there a washer and dryer in the apartment? If not, are there laundry facilities nearby?
- Downtown Charleston is prone to flooding. Does your street or parking area flood?
- If desired, can you have a roommate or other individual living on the property?
- If planning to leave town for the summer, can you sublet?