The state offers several life insurance options to MUSC Employees:
Incidental Death Benefit (South Carolina Retirement Systems)
An employee who is a member of SCRS, ORP or PORS with at least one year of service will be covered by a death benefit equal to one year of budgeted salary or as outlined by IRS guidelines. Exceptions may apply, or if job related injury results in death. Benefits are subject to federal and state taxes; or may be eligible to be tax-deferred to another qualified retirement plan.
Basic Life Insurance (Employee Insurance Program)
If enrolled in one of the health insurance plans, you qualify for a $3,000 life insurance policy at no cost to you. Benefits are paid by MetLife.
Optional Life Insurance (Employee Insurance Program)
Benefits eligible employees can enroll in term life insurance within 31 days of their hire date without having to provide medical evidence of good health. You can elect guaranteed coverage in $10,000 increments, up to three times your basic annual earnings rounded down to the nearest $10,000. You may go beyond the guaranteed coverage up to $500,000 with the approval of medical evidence within 31 days of hire. Premiums are based on age and coverage. Benefits are paid by MetLife.
Employees may enroll in or increase their optional life insurance without medical evidence in $10,000 increments, up to a maximum of $50,000, due to a qualifying event such as marriage, birth, adoption, or divorce.
If an employee is enrolled in the pre-tax premium feature, they may only add/drop/increase/decrease coverage during Annual Enrollment held every October. Medical evidence may be required.
Employees not enrolled in the pre-tax premium feature may add/drop/ increase/decrease their coverage throughout the year. Medical evidence may be required.
Optional life coverage includes:
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefits
-Seat Belt/Air Bag Rider for automobile accidental death
-Felonious Assault Benefit
-Day Care Benefit
- Accelerated Benefits for participants under age 60 who are diagnosed with a terminal illness
- Will preparation and estate resolution services at no charge
Optional life benefits of $5,000 or more payable in lump sum, installment payments or an interest bearing account managed by MetLife.
You may also purchase dependent life insurance coverage for your spouse and/or child(ren).
- Spouse life insurance premiums are based on the employee's age. You may elect guaranteed coverage of $10,000 or $20,000 in spouse life insurance as a new hire. You may increase the insurance with medical evidence throughout the year. Spouse life insurance can never exceed 50% of your life insurance coverage, up to a maximum of $100,000. Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefits are payable.
- Child(ren) life insurance is set at $15,000 for each dependent covered. The premium is $1.24 total per month, not per dependent.
Review the Insurance Benefits Guide for detailed plan information.