MUSC Position Types
Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) Positions:
- A Classified Position is a full-time or part-time position with an assigned pay band and corresponding salary range, requiring completion of a one-year probationary period or a six-month trial period, if circumstances warrant.
- A Faculty Position is a full-time or part-time established position requiring a faculty appointment contract; a written appointment to an academic department approved by the appropriate Appointment, Promotion and Tenure (APT) Committees and academic officers. Faculty members hold an assignment to include instruction, research, and public service as a principle activity; an academic rank; and a recognized standing among scholars in an academic discipline.
- An Unclassified Position is a full-time or part-time executive position that is not subject to the position classification policies and regulations.
- A Research Grant Position is a full-time or part-time position funded by a sponsored research project. Continuation of employment is contingent upon availability of funding.
- A Temporary Position is a full-time or part-time position (without benefits) not to exceed one year of continuous employment.
- A Student Position is a position occupied by a student currently enrolled in an academic institution.
- A Postdoctoral Scholar Position is a full-time or part-time position, typically funded by a sponsored research project. A Postdoctoral researcher is defined by the NIH and NSF as "an individual who has received a doctoral degree (or equivalent) and is engaged in a temporary and defined period of mentored advanced training to enhance the professional skills and research independence needed to pursue his/her chosen career path.
- A Resident or Intern Position is a full-time or part-time position (with benefits) occupied by a resident or intern appointed in a Graduate Medical Education program.