Prerequisites for acceptance to the Intern Program at the MUSC Wellness Center are as follows:
1. Applicant should be enrolled in their senior year of undergraduate work with a health/fitness related major.
2. Two letters of recommendation. One should be from your college advisor; the other should be from a college professor or work supervisor.
3. A letter from your school specifying the requirements for credits or graduation, towards which this internship is to apply.
4. Personal resume.
5. Recent transcripts.
6. Completed application.
7. Current CPR certification.
8. Upon acceptance of an internship offer, you will need to provide evidence of liability insurance coverage, and have your physician or student health service complete the "Health Statement For Visiting Students" form, which will be sent to you upon your acceptance of an internship offer.
1. Fitness instruction on Nautilus, Free Motion, Cybex, and Free weights, and a wide variety of cardiovascular equipment (i.e. Star Trac Cycles, Stairmasters, Fluid Rowers, Treadmills, Precor Ellipticals, Nustep, etc.).
2. Exercise floor supervision.
3. Front Desk responsibilities.
4. Fitness Testing and Exercise Prescription.
5. Program Design and Implementation.
6. Equipment maintenance.
7. A one-hour presentation for our members or staff on a health, fitness, or nutrition topic of the intern's choice.
8. You will be assigned to assist staff members with one or more programs as they are offered during your internship. These programs may include: Senior Adult Exercise Program, Boot Camp, Ultimate Tennis and Sports Camp, Fit Kids Camp, Employee Wellness Programs, Joe D. Bands-Hall of Fame Workout. Not all programs are offered each semester.
Interns are required to perform the above duties. They may also choose from the following:
1. Research projects. 2. Marketing and promotion. 3. Human Performance Laboratory project. 4. Other projects designated by the student and/or staff.