Skip Navigation

Immigration Services

Immigration Services


The Office of International Support at MUSC serves to assist students, scholars and staff with visa processing and other matters related to government, laws, regulations and policies at the federal, state and local level that affect Internationals while they are studying or working at MUSC. This Office will monitor, interpret and apply those government directives and controls in the MUSC environment in support of the teaching, research, patient care and community service goals of the University and its affiliated institutions.

Important reminders for F-1 and J-1 students

We want you to involve yourself in the MUSC programs and in the community in almost all of the same ways that US citizens and resident colleagues do; however, it is important to note that Internationals do have a few limitations. There are two important characteristics of the F-1 and J-1 student status.  One is that you must enroll in a full course of study throughout your program. In some cases, that can mean that, while you are completing your research or dissertation, you should enroll as “for continuation.” Your school or department determines what a full course of study consists of in your program. Please remind your faculty advisor of the full course of study requirement. Contact the Office of International Support BEFORE you make any changes that result in reduced enrollment load.

The other reminder has to do with working while in the United States. You are permitted to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during official school vacations and holidays. All work
MUST be approved by the Office of International Support and, in some cases, by the Department of Homeland Security, BEFORE you begin work.

Important reminders for H-1B staff and departments

It is essential that you begin this process early, preferably 6 months before the start of employment. There are certain steps in the process and fees associated with hiring an International that the Department and the International must work with this Office to obtain the H-1B visa. Although 6 months is not always necessary, this Office prefers to have ample time to ensure a smooth process. This applies to transfers and renewals of H-1B staff also. We appreciate your cooperation and our continued success in employing H-1B staff.