Boeing Center for Children's Wellness (Lean Team)
Wellness Checklist Contest
The Boeing Center for Children's Wellness School Wellness Checklist © Contest
The SWC© is made up of evidence-based strategies and policies recommended by the Center for Disease Control and Institute of Medicine to impact the health of the school environment and reduce childhood obesity over time. These practices are grouped into categories and itemized and assigned point values leading to a year end score. Schools choose which items to implement on the SWC©. The SWC© allows individual schools to track wellness changes with real time data entry. The SWC© can be used as part of an overall school-based wellness initiative or as a stand-alone wellness tool to measure improvements made to the school environment. The SWC© is available for elementary and secondary education levels and is both tablet- and smartphone-friendly.
The SWC © is a user-friendly tool that visually prompts schools to complete items in all categories and shows the school’s progress throughout the school year. The SWC © has 7 categories:
- Getting Starting (Establishing a School Wellness Committee)
- Physical Activity
- Stress Management
- Establishing a Wellness Culture
- Employee Connections
An optional bonus section is included to capture changes schools make that do not fit into the above categories. As seen on the sample below, badges appear next to several categories as categories are opened or points entered. Green badges appear when a user has logged points in that category, and red badges appear when points have not been entered. An absence of a badge indicates users have not opened that category. Individual category score totals are also located inside the badges. Overall total SWC© points achieved are automically updated at the top of each page. School wellness committees check off items during the school year. Schools have the ability to describe and/or upload files or images to verify their checked items throughout the online tool.
2017-2018 Wellness Checklist Contest
The electronic submission process is located at BCCW.musc.edu and the CONTEST ENDS 4/13/18 at 12 NOON.
For all participating schools, please be reminded of the following key points:
- A 50 point minimum is required for all schools. One point must be logged in each of the main 7 categories on the checklist. Schools MUST have a Wellness Committee of at least 3 members and meet at least 4 times during this school year.
- There is an opportunity to earn up to 5 bonus points for wellness items NOT captured on an existing checklist item.
- August/September: District presentations
- October: School Wellness Leader Trainings
- September - May: Ongoing training, monitoring, site visits and technical assistance
- April/May: Checklist is due
- May/June: Prize Patrol and Wellness Achievement Celebrations, schools receive Wellness Awards