The Boeing Center for Children's Wellness (The Lean Team)
Mission: Our mission is to reduce childhood Obesity in the State of S.C. by creating healthier school environments through innovative wellness initiatives.
Wellness Checklist Contest
The Boeing Center for Children's Wellness School Wellness Checklist © Contest
In an effort to address rising rates of overweight and obesity in the Lowcountry, and to support the national emphasis on improving student and employee wellness, we facilitate a district-level Wellness Championship open to certain South Carolina School Districts. The School Wellness Checklist© aims to:
- Effect measurable health policy and behavior changes at the individual school level, with a focus on obesity-related behaviors.
- Measure the level of activity of the school wellness councils at individual, categorical and district levels.
We have now completed four years of this contest in Charleston County School District, and completed our second years in Berkeley and Dorchester 2 School Districts. The data collection tool is online and available to all members of the school's wellness committee. Checklist items are categorized under 7 wellness themes, and point values are assigned to each item based on perceived difficulty to implement and/or our interest in effecting those changes. Cash prizes are available to schools to incentivize performance.
This coming year (2014-2015), we will be implementing some changes to the contest, such as:
- A few new checklist items, and some changes in point values on older items
- An exciting new large point value item for developing a sponsoring community partner
- An option to participate in the Alliance for a Healthier Generation for a 10 point value
- A revamped online checklist!
**Please remember that paper submissions are no longer accepted.** The electronic submission process is live (8/19/14) via our website. Emails will be sent to school wellness contacts with the logins and passwords.
For Charleston County School District, Berkeley County School District and Dorchester 2 School District, please be reminded of the following key points:
- A 50 point minimum is required for schools who won a wellness award any of the previous years. Schools participating for the first time are only required to earn a minimum of 30 points. One point must come from each of the main 7 categories on the checklist. **PLEASE NOTE- all items and events must be current for this school year to be counted.**
- There is an opportunity to earn up to 5 bonus points for wellness items NOT captured on an existing checklist item.