The Medical University of South Carolina is located in historic downtown Charleston, SC. Charleston was founded and settled by English colonists in 1670, and is now the second largest city in South Carolina with an estimated 1998 population of 100,122. The City of Charleston is located on the Atlantic Ocean, at the juncture of the Ashley and Cooper Rivers, and occupies 88.14 square miles. Of this, 7.6 square miles is the City's Downtown District. Between 1980 and 1990 Charleston grew 15 % while the nation as a whole grew 9.8 %. The City's growth is due to annexed lands in West Ashley, James Island (the location of Ft. Johnson), Johns Island and the Cainhoy Peninsula. For more information on the Charleston Area, refer to the City of Charleston visitor website.