College of Graduate Studies
The MSCR program trains individuals to become principal investigators on grants, faculty in medical schools and team leaders who are seeking careers in clinical research. The program is a component of the educational core of the South Carolina Clinical and Translational Research Institute (SCTR), and is compliant with core competencies recommended by the National Center for the Advancement of Translational Sciences (NCATS). The degree is granted through the College of Graduates Studies.
The objective of this program is to prepare health professionals for research in the clinical setting, with an emphasis placed on practical applications of scientific issues.
At the end of the program, students should be able to:
1. Conduct a comprehensive and systematic review of the literature
2. Formulate a well-defined clinical or translational research question
3. Select an appropriate study design to address a clinical or translational research question
4. Compute, describe, and evaluate descriptive and inferential statistics appropriate to the chosen study design
5. Apply ethical codes and professional standards for the conduct of clinical and translational research