Head and Neck Tumor Center
The MUSC Hollings Cancer Center Head and Neck Tumor Program has been awarded a Center designation by the MUSC Board of Trustees.
The Head and Neck Tumor Center is comprised of specialists from various areas of treatment in order to meet the needs of each patient. The goal is to evaluate a patient in one day, by all appropriate clinicians, so the patient's time is maximized and treatment can begin quickly. The team works together to discuss recommendations, and which combined therapies, such as surgery, chemotherapy, radiology or other therapies, would be most beneficial for the patient.
Advances in reconstruction of the head and neck region and innovative techniques to prevent the loss of an organ system are providing patients with improved function, increased mobility and the ability to articulate.
An important part of a patient's care goes well beyond the post-operative and recovery period. Speech and swallowing therapists help patients adapt to changes in their abilities to speak or swallow. Ongoing visits are scheduled to meet the patient's needs. Support groups, classes and other services help address psychological, social and financial concerns associated with surviving cancer.
Patients of the Head and Neck Tumor Center have access to these special services:
- The latest treatments, such as new chemotherapy and radiation treatments
- Head and neck cancer surgery for high-risk patients
- Highly advanced computerized three-dimensional planning for radiotherapy
- Laser therapy
- Reconstructive surgery
- Maxillofacial prosthodontics
- Endoscopic surgery
- Thyroid and para-thyroid surgery
- Pediatric head nad neck tumors
- Skull-base surgery
- Speech and swallowing therapy
- Dietary and nutritional consultation
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Social work and support groups
- Access to national head and neck cancer information
- Smoking cessation classes
For more information about the Head and Neck Tumor Center call MUSC MEDULINE 843-792-2200 or 1-800-922-5250.