REACH MUSC: Stroke Evaluation and Treatment
MUSC’s stroke team provides urgent consultations at select hospitals in South Carolina through a Web-based outreach initiative called REACH MUSC. "REACH" stands for remote evaluation of acute ischemic stroke.
This potentially life-saving network connects partnering hospitals with immediate, round-the-clock access to MUSC's stroke care experts, who can remotely provide urgent consultations after virtually examining patients and brain imaging studies.
Many rural, community medical centers often receive stroke patients, but have no neurologists or do not have sufficient coverage to create a round-the-clock stroke team capable of rapid stroke evaluation and treatment.
With the use of REACH, a Stroke Neurology consult can be obtained in an average of 9 minutes. Using telestroke as an example, a patient with new onset of stroke comes to an outlying Emergency Department (spoke site) and is shown to an MUSC (the HUB) stroke specialist using a camera/ computer system in the ED. The MUSC specialist can log on anywhere and view the patient, interview family and see brain scans over a secure website provided by REACH Call, Inc, the platform provider.
REACH MUSC is supported by grants from HSSC, the Duke Endowment, the SC Centers of Economic Excellence Program, contributions from the Department of Neurosciences at MUSC, the Medical University Hospital Authority and subscriber fees.
REACH MUSC Partners:
- Georgetown Memorial Hospital (Georgetown)
- Grand Strand Regional Medical Center (Myrtle Beach)
- Marion Regional Health System (Marion)
- McLeod Regional Medical Center (Florence)
- Waccamaw Community Hospital (Murells Inlet)
- Williamsburg Regional Hospital (Kingstree)
- Coastal Carolina Medical Center (Hardeeville)
- Piedmont Medical Center (Rock Hill)
- Kershaw Health Medical Center (Camden)
- McLeod Medical Center (Dillon)
- Springs Memorial Hospital (Lancaster)
- Carolina Pines Regional Medical Center (Hartsville)
- Self Regional Healthcare (Greenwood)
- Loris Community Hospital (Loris)
- Seacoast Medical Center (Little River)
For more information:
MUSC Stroke Center: 843-792-3020
Ellen Debenham, RN, CCRC
REACH/MUSC Program Coordinator