John C. Roitzsch, Ph.D.
Education: Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, Louisiana State University, 1962
Current Position: Professor Emeritus, National Crime Victims Research and Treatment Center, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, MUSC
Licensure: South Carolina
Professional Organizations: American Psychological Association; Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy; South Carolina Psychological Association
Research Interests: addictions; Behavioral medicine
- Roitzsch, J.C. (2008). Medication Treatments for Nicotine Dependence. [Review of the book]. Contemporary Psychology.
- Kilpatrick, D. G., Koenen, K., Ruggiero, K. J., Acierno, R., Galea, S., Resnick, H. S., Roitzsch, J., Boyle, J.& Gelernter, J. (2007). The serotonin transporter genotype and social support and moderation of PTSD and depression in hurricane-exposed adults. American Journal of Psychiatry, 164, 1693-1699.
- Acierno, R., Ruggiero, K. J., Galea, S., Resnick, H. S., Gelernter, J., Koenen, K., Roitzsch, J., de Arellano, M., Boyle, J., & Kilpatrick, D. G. (2006). Psychological sequelae of the 2004 Florida hurricanes: Implications for post-disaster intervention.
- Davies, S., Wright, D.C., Falsetti, S.A., Roitzsch, J.C. (2005). Simultaneous treatment of substance abuse and posttraumatic stress disorder: A case study. Clinical Case Studies, 4(4), 347-362.
- Brady, K.T., Saladin, M.E., Killeen, T., Becker, S., (2004). Posttraumatic stress disorder and substance abuse: Use of research in a clinical setting. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 10(1), 141-148.
- Teichner, G., Horner, M.D., Roitzsch, J.C., Herron, J., & Thevos, A. (2002). Substance abuse treatment outcomes for cognitively impaired and intact outpatients. Addictive Behaviors, 25, 751-763.
- Ames, S.C. & Roitzsch, J.C. (2000). The impact of minor stressful life events and social support on cravings: A study of inpatients receiving treatment for substance dependence. Addictive Behaviors, 25, 539-547. Article reviewed in American Psychological Association publication: (2000) Clinician’s Research Digest, 18, 1.
- Dancky, B.S., Roitzsch, J.C., Brady, K.T., Saladin, M.E. (1997). Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Substance Abuse: Use of Research in a Clinical Setting. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 10(1), 141-148.
- Becker, S., Brady, K.T., Dansky, B.S., Killeen, T., Roitzsch, J.C., Saladin, M.E. (1996). Victimization and PTSD in individuals with substance use disorders: Gender and Racial Differences. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 22.
- Pritchard, P.B., III, Holmstrom, V.L., Roitzsch, J.C., and Giacinto, J.P. (1984). Epileptic Amnestic Attacks: Benefit from Antiepileptic Drug. Neurology, 244, 17-22.
- Roitzsch, J.D., Brady, K., Greenway, D.E., Nesmith, E. (Jan., 1993). AIDS Risk Behavior and Substance Abuse with Dual Diagnosis. Presented at the 6th International Conference on Treatment of Addictive Behaviors (ICTAB-6), Santa Fe, New Mexico.
- Roitzsch, J.C., Franks, S.F. (Mar., 1993). Anger Expression, Cardiac Risk, and Gender: Are Women More At Risk As They Become More Like Men? Presented at the 39th Annual Southeastern Psychological Association (SEPA) in Atlanta, GA.
- Dansky B, Saladin M, Brady K, Killeen T, Becker S, Roitzsch J, Resnick H, Kilpatrick D (1994, March). The Nature of Victimization among Inpatient Substance Abusers. Poster presentation at the Annual meeting of the Southeastern Psychological Association, New Orleans.
- Saladin M, Dansky B, Brady K, Kilpatrick D, Resnick H, Roitzsch J (1994, November). PTSD symptom profiles in women with and without substance use disorders. Presented at the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, San Diego, CA
- Ames, S.C., Roitzsch, J.C., & Kelly, C.B. (1999). Health behavior change in inpatients being treated for substance dependence: Rethinking the abstinence model. Poster presented at the Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy, Toronto.
- Juliano, L.M., Santa Ana, E.J., & Roitzsch, J.C. (2001). Developing treatment strategies for nicotine dependent substance abusers in recovery. Poster presented at the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT), Seattle, WA.
- Santa Ana, E.J., Roitzsch, J.C. (2003). The stages of change: Are they all they’re measured up to be? Poster presented at the South Carolina Psychological Association, Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Santa Ana, E.J., Wulfert, E., Nietert, P.J. & Roitzsch, J.C. (2005). Efficacy of group motivational interviewing for dually diagnosed inpatients. Poster presented at the Association for Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy, Washington, DC.
- Ames, G.E., O’Neil, P.M., Roitzsch, J.C., White, M.A., & Byrne, T.C. (2005). Weight-loss goals of gastric bypass applicants. Poster presented at the North American Association for the Study of Obesity, Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Best, C.L., Acierno, R., Ruggiero, K.J., Resnick, H.S., Galea, S., Roitzsch, J.C., deArellano, M., & Kilpatrick, D.G. (2005, November). The 2004 Hurricanes in Florida and the Implications for Katrina Victims in New Orleans. Presentation for the Jefferson Parish Human Services Authority, New Orleans, Louisiana.
Curriculum Vitae (2008)
Back to NCVC Faculty | Back to Internship Training Faculty
Last Published: 2008