Neurology Residency Program
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do you take International Medical Graduates in your program? Yes. Candidates should have graduated from medical school within the past 5 years.
2. What is the percentage of IMGs in your program (IMG friendly)? Please see our current housestaff officers on our website.
3. What are the average scores of your current residents? USMLE or the equivalent of COMLEX
4. Do you sponsor visa, if yes, which visa do you sponsor? J1s. Is it mandatory to have US Clinical experience, if yes what kind?
If you are an International Medical Graduate you must have at least one year of US clinical experience through externships.
6. What are the minimums score requirements for USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS or equivalent COMLEX Level 1, COMLEX Level 2 CE and Level 2 PE? Scores of > 220 and above.
7. Do you accept applications from IMGs with USMLE step 2 CS attempts? Yes, your application would be considered for review.
8. Do you require any specific arrangement in Letter of Recommendation or to address specific questions in my Personal Statement? No, this is not necessary.
9. What is the deadline to accept application? October 31st.
10. Are there any special requirements in applying to this program?No, except that all applications must be submitted through ERAS.
11. How many positions do you have annually? We are currently accepting five (5) PGY-1s.
12. Do you offer observerships? Unfortunately, we do not.
13. Does your program guarantee a position for preliminary medicine internship? Yes, our program is formally integrated with the Medical University of South Carolina Internal Medicine residency program.
14. What matching program do you use? We participate in the Neurology Residency Match Program which is administered by ERAS, a program of the Association of American Medical Colleges. http://www.aamc.org/programs/eras/applicants/start.htm
15. Can I submit materials in addition to what is required by ERAS? No, please submit all additional material through ERAS.
17. When and how will you notify candidates about interviews?We begin reviewing applications shortly after our application deadline. After applications have been reviewed, candidates selected for interviews will be contacted primarily via e-mail. Generally, the interview notification time period runs through November. Candidates may be contacted at any point during this time period, depending upon when their application was received and reviewed.