Skip Navigation

Online MSN FAQ

Why should I apply to the MUSC College of Nursing?
The College of Nursing is an integral part of the Medical University of South Carolina, which is the only academic health science center in the state. We are widely recognized for providing a supportive learning environment that has a low student to faculty ratio, expert faculty and preceptors as well as highly successful complex clinical settings. Our online program is also ranked #1 in the nation by US News and World Report.

How does an online program differ from one that is campus-based?
The integrity of our graduate coursework, mentoring, and interaction with faculty and students is preserved in our online graduate program through the use of synchronous and asynchronous technology. The only thing that differs between an online and campus-based program is the method through which access is achieved - through advanced technology and required on-campus visits for NP students.

How many times will I have to travel to the MUSC Campus?
All newly admitted MSN students will have to travel to MUSC for orientation held the last week in July. In addition, students will have to travel to campus during NRDNP 856, 864, 865, and 866. Please refer to the posted program plans of study to determine when these classes are scheduled. Each of these visits are 2-3 days and students are given 90 days notice of exact dates. 

How long will it take me to achieve the MSN?
The student entering with a BSN will take two years of full-time and three years of part-time study. MSN level coursework may be transferred, pending approval after admission. Full and part-time plans of study can be found here.

What is the focus of your DNP program?
The MSN program consists of three post-baccalaureate clinical specializations all with a primary care focus, which include adult-gerontology, pediatric and family nurse practitioner. Students may elect to take education courses as well.

How much is the program?
Tuition and fees vary per program, full-time vs. part-time study, and whether in state or out-of-state. For tuition and fee information, please click here.

Is financial aid available?
Yes, for more information, please visit this site: Click Here.

Are scholarships available?
Yes, scholarships are available to students who have completed a FAFSA with the Office of Financial Aid. They are awarded based on need, academic merit, and scholarship criteria after a student has been admitted to the College of Nursing. To review scholarships offered through the College of Nursing, please visit this site: Click Here.

How do I apply for admission to the graduate program?
Applications must be submitted electronically through the Office of Enrollment Management. Applications are received and processed by this office. Deadlines can be found here. Questions or problems concerning the application should be addressed to the Office of Enrollment Management.

How do you make your admission decisions?
Our Admissions, Progression, and Graduation Committee review each application in its entirety. Undergraduate and BSN GPA, professional goals and references are used in the decision-making process. Another important aspect is what an applicant shares in their essay, as well as their leadership and volunteer experiences.

Who should I use as references?
The Admissions, Progression, and Graduation Committee prefers references from employers or academic professionals who are familiar with you and your abilities. They must use the reference form provided in the application. Letters may not be used as a substitute.

Do you accept out-of-state students?
Please click here for a list of states in which we are authorized.

How do I become a South Carolina resident?
Residency is determined by the Office of Enrollment Management. For more information, please visit this site: Click Here.

Do you accept international students?
Due to the distance-education nature of this program, MUSC is unable to issue I-20 forms to allow students to obtain F-1 student visas. Only U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and those holding other valid U.S. visas will be accepted. Please note that MUSC cannot establish a legal contract with any sites outside of the United States for clinical courses, so clinicals must be done within the U.S.

What is the difference between a Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant?
Please click here to learn more about about the similarities and differences between a Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant.

To learn more about the College of Nursing, read our monthly newsletter, E-Connections, and Lifelines, the College of Nursing magazine.
Find these publications at this site:
Click Here

Request Information