"MUSC Nurses Change Lives"
Online Ph.D. Program in Nursing
The online Ph.D. Program in Nursing prepares nurse scientists for a lifetime of intellectual inquiry through scholarship and research. We define nurse scientists as nurses who plan to pursue a research interest with a program of externally funded research using rigorous, well-designed methods that address a gap in the care of vulnerable populations. Our graduates enjoy careers in academic, social, governmental, and healthcare organizational settings. The program requires students to critically analyze and develop research, educational, policy and administrative strategies that address the needs of both individuals and communities.
The online Ph.D. Program enables students to:
- Utilize philosophical, theoretical, and conceptual foundations to guide the generation of new knowledge in health care.
- Develop expertise within an area of inquiry, identifying critical gaps in knowledge and reflecting a nursing and transdisciplinary perspective.
- Conduct theory-guided research to test, generate, and extend knowledge that informs health care systems, health policy, and the evidence base for practice.
- Demonstrate proactive leadership related to a selected area of scholarship.
- Model values consistent with integrity in science and professional nursing.
The Ph.D. program includes a core foundation in theory development, research, ethics, and knowledge translation. It is supported by courses in methodology, analysis, measurement, grant writing, epidemiology, and cognates in the student’s area of interest. Situated within an academic health sciences center ranked within the Top 100 in the nation for receipt of federal funding, the student has access to expert clinicians and basic and applied scientists from multiple disciplines. With ongoing support from a designated advisor, mentored teaching, research and health policy courses allow students to design unique learning experiences with expert mentors in their field.
For more information, please contact:
PhD Program Coordinator and Alumni Services
Telephone: (843) 792-8515
Fax: (843) 792-5395