College of Nursing Organizations
Student Representation on CON Committees
Undergraduate Program Committee:
- Jake Forrester
- Duane Froes
- Tyler Hunter
- Leila Forney (PhD student)
- Kim Pickett (DNP student)
- Maria Ingraham (non-doctoral student)
- Juliette Brown (BSN student)
- Theresa Wyatt (DNP student)
- Allison Adrian
- Katherine Katzenberger
Graduate Program Committee:
- Cheryl Jones (DNP)
- Mary Shearer (DNP)
CON Honor Council
The Honor Council of the College of Nursing has as its purpose to infuse the highest standards of character while providing a model for professional behaviors. As with The University as a whole, the College of Nursing (CON) asks that its students develop academically and morally while being supported by the advice, constructive criticism, enthusiasm, and example of peers, faculty and mentors. As such, it is the responsibility of each College of Nursing Student to read and adhere to MUSC’s Honor Code.
The CON Honor Council consists of the following members: 2 students from RN-BSN cohort, 2 students from aBSN fall cohort, 2 students from aBSN spring cohort, 1 MSN student, 3 DNP students, and 2 PhD students. These individuals have the job of educating their peers on the purpose and scope of the MUSC Honor Code. Each appointed representative must be familiar with and abide by the Honor Code, such that they may serve as both an example and a resource for their peers on the spirit and letter of the Honor Code. Additionally, honor council members periodically must serve as investigators of alleged infractions, as well as participate in hearings with the utmost impartiality and confidentiality.
Students will be appointed by the Undergraduate, Graduate, or PhD Program Committees. Persons interested in serving on the CON Honor Council may let the Program Director know. Students are appointed to serve throughout their curriculum. If a student is unable to complete the term, another appointment will be made by the appropriate Program Committee.
2015-2016 Honor Council
|President: James Hill*||Vice President:|
|MSN & DNP||Class of May 2016|
|PhD Students||Class of December 2016|
|RN to BSN||Class of May 2016|
*Officers & Representatives
CON Student Nurses Association
The Student Nurses Association is a preprofessional nursing student organization. The goal is to introduce nursing students to their future career by providing leadership opportunities and educational advancement. Student Nurses' Association By-Laws
|Julia Levin Rector, President||Sarah Jordan Andrews, Vice President|
|Meghan Davis, Secretary||Carleigh Fox, Treasurer|
|Katherine Fant, Historian||Caitlin Baker, Legislative Director|
|Emily Corbett, Community Service Director||Leo Bersamina, SNA/SGA Liaison|
|Martha Lee, Breakthrough to Nursing||Katherine Fant, Elections Director|
Lauren Delahanty & Amanda Torres
Sydney Jones & Samantha Morrison
CON Student Government Association
The College of Nursing Student Government Association works on behalf of the students by facilitating the exchange of information of ideas between students, faculty, and administration; representing student opinions, needs, and interests. College of Nursing Student Government Association By-Laws
- take action to increase the quality of student services and academic programs to further enhance the education of students
- plan and execute a variety of social, cultural, and recreational events to promote fellowship, personal growth,and interaction with MUSC students and the university community, and
- maintain a budget with all the allocated funds to serve the MUSC student body most efficiently.
2014-2015 Student Government Officers
|Alyssa LaFond, President||Ashley Jones, Vice President|
|Amy Biffle, Secretary||Caroline Ravenel, Treasurer|
|Paige Cox, Policy Writer|
Leonel Bersamina & Kelsey van den Heuvel
Joseph Stocking & Kate Phinney
Multicultural Student Nurses Association
On July 11, 2011, a cadre of students led by advisor, Dr. Ida Spruill reestablished a former organization, known as the Multicultural Student Nurses Organization (MSNA). The Office of Student Diversity and the College of Nursing welcomed the reactivation of the Multicultural Student Nurses Association (MSNA), as a student organization in October 2011. The purpose of MSNA is to serve as a platform of cultural exchange inclusive of all students in the College of Nursing with specific emphasis on the recruitment and retention of under-represented minority students. The organization boasts active diverse student members and currently represents the largest student organization on campus.
CON student leaders credited with the re-establishment of MSNA are Ashleigh McCall who served as first President, and Imani Fickling as Vice President. Other CON students who served on the first MSNA organizational steering committee included: Senovia Mays, Michelle Wilkins, Veronica Ramos, Erica Rutledge, Kris Elmore, Janice McFaddin, Rhondria Manigault, and Brianna Smith. The promotion of student leadership, community service and mentoring are some of the founding tenants of MSNA.
- In just a few months, as a group MSNA members have logged over 50 volunteers hours in community service projects such as the, 2011 S.C. Nurse's Foundation Walk, community health fairs, and Holiday gift giving campaigns to support the needs of local children.
- An over-arching goal of MSNA is the recruitment and retention of Under-Represented Minority (URM) students via study groups, professional affilitation "Buddy Mentoring " and community services.
- MSNA is open to all CON students and meets the last Monday of each month. Membership fee is $15.00.
Sigma Theta Tau
University-wide and college-related student organizations offer College of Nursing students opportunities to develop their leadership skills; to serve their fellow students, the Charleston community; and/or their profession; to explore new and old interests; and to have a good time with other involved students, staff, and faculty.
Nursing students are expected to demonstrate professional leadership as part of their learning experience. Below is a sample of nursing student leadership opportunities:
- Alliance for Hispanic Health
- Bahai Association of MUSC
- Crisis Ministries
- Gay Straight Alliance
- International Student Organization
- Jewish Association
- Medical Campus Outreach
- Medical History Club
- Multi-Cultural Student Advisory Board
- MUSC Gives Back
- MUSC Student Government Association
- Muslim Student Association
- Presidential Scholars
- Public Health Interest Group
College of Nursing
- College of Nursing Student Government Association
- Hispanic Health Initiative Scholars
- Honor Council
- Multicultural Student Nurses Association
- Research Honors Practicum
- Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society
- Student Nurse's Association
- Undergraduate, Graduate, and Doctoral Program Committees
- Evaluation and Program Effectiveness Committee