The MUSC College of Nursing Office of Research and Evaluation is devoted to the development and utilization of nursing research. The Office is a centralized resource with the overall goal of enhancing the research potential of the College of Nursing faculty and students.
How can the Office of Research help you?
- Assist with the preparation and submission of funding requests to federal and state agencies and institutes, foundations, and other funding sources
- Clarify submission requirements and guidelines from potential funding agencies
- Identify and explore research funding opportunities based on faculty goals and objectives
- Provide support for externally funded faculty research and community collaborative projects, grants, contracts and cooperative arrangements
- Provide statistical and methodological assistance during proposal writing process
- Provide institutional information
- Critique proposal internally
- Provide external review
- Assist with budget, budget narrative, management plan
- Complete all forms: face page, blue sheet, biosketches, assurances, etc.
- Assist in preparing final document
- Secure appropriate signatures
- Mail (express mail/electronic submission)
- Assist with IRB requirements
What will you, as faculty, need to do to support the research process?
- Read the RFP/PA
- Discuss your project with Associate Dean for Research
- Secure approval from Associate Dean for Research and Associate Dean for Faculty
- Before meeting with the Associate Deans, ask yourself these questions:
- How much of my time will be required for my research?
- Is there potential for interdisciplinary collaboration?
- Are cost-sharing/matching funds required or allowable?
- Can my research goals be achieved with the amount of allowable funding?
- Do I need equipment? What is and is not allowed?
- How will the project be sustained after the grant period ends?
Additional points for researchers
- As you write your narrative, remember to follow guidelines closely; proposals are being returned without review if they do not follow instructions.
- Create your preliminary budget.
- Develop objectives/outcomes.
- Remember that all grant proposals, contracts and cooperative agreements must have University clearance through the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs 10 working days prior to submission deadline
Distinguished Leader in Nursing Series
Patricia O. Grady, PhD, RN, FAAN, Director National Institute of Nursing Research, National Institutes of Health
November 1, 2004