Mariana Pehar, Ph.D
2006 Ph.D., Universidad de la República-Uruguay
Office: BSB 319C
Aging is the most important risk factor for the development of several neurodegenerative diseases including sporadic Alzheimer’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease. However, the underlying mechanisms linking aging to the development of neurodegeneration are not completely understood. We focus our research in the role of oxidative stress and p53 signaling in the development and progression of neurodegenerative processes. The goal of our research is to understand the molecular mechanisms linking aging to neurodegeneration in order to identify new therapeutic targets for the prevention and treatment of such devastating diseases.
Recent Publications | Additional Publications
1. Pehar M, Jonas MC, Hare TM, Puglielli L. SLC33A1/AT-1 protein regulates the induction of autophagy downstream of IRE1/XBP1 pathway. J Biol Chem. 2012; 287(35): 29921-29930.
2. Pehar M, Lehnus M, Karst A, Puglielli L. Proteomic assessment shows that many endoplasmic reticulum (ER)-resident proteins are targeted by N(epsilon)-lysine acetylation in the lumen of the organelle and predicts broad biological impact. J Biol Chem. 2012; 287(27): 22436-22440.
3. Ding Y, Ko MH, Pehar M, Kotch F, Peters NR, Luo Y, Salamat SM, Puglielli L. Biochemical inhibition of the acetyltransferases ATase1 and ATase2 reduces β-secretase (BACE1) levels and Aβ generation. J Biol Chem. 2012; 287(11): 8424-8433.
4. Jonas MC, Pehar M, Puglielli L. AT-1 is the ER membrane acetyl-CoA transporter and is essential for cell viability. J Cell Sci. 2010; 123(Pt 19): 3378-3388
5. Pehar M, O'Riordan KJ, Burns-Cusato M, Andrzejewski ME, del Alcazar CG, Burger C, Scrable H, Puglielli L. Altered longevity-assurance activity of p53:p44 in the mouse causes memory loss, neurodegeneration and premature death. Aging Cell. 2010; 9(2): 174-190.
1. Pehar M and Puglielli L. (2012) Molecular and cellular mechanisms linking aging to cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s disease. In: Cell Aging (Perloft JW and Wong AH, Eds), Chapter 3, pp153-190. ISBN: 978-1-61324-369-5. Nova Science Publishers, Inc.