Joachim Uys, PhD
2006 Ph.D., University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
Office: DD 409
Dr. Uys’s current research focuses on the role of redox protein signaling and the redox sensitive cysteine specific modification, S-glutathionylation, in alcohol and cocaine addiction. Previously it was found that the S-glutathionylation catalyst, glutathione-S-transferase Pi (GSTP) play a crucial role in the development of the addiction phenotype. Using transgenic, viral and pharmacological approaches, the Uys lab determines how cocaine- and alcohol-induced oxidative stress regulates GSTP and other redox signaling proteins activity and posttranslational modifications. In fact, mice lacking GSTP self-administer more cocaine and alcohol than wild type mice, underscoring the importance of redox protein signaling across different drugs of abuse. Recent NIH funded research will investigate how changes in redox sensitive dendritic spine proteins can regulate ethanol consumption and discover potential new pharmacotherapeutic targets for alcohol use disorder.
Recent Publications | Additional Publications
- Nimitvilai S*, Uys JD*, Woodward JJ, Randall PK, Ball LE, Williams RW, Jones BC, Lu L, Grant KA, Mulholland PJ Orbitofrontal. Neuroadaptations and Cross-Species Synaptic Biomarkers in Heavy-Drinking Macaques. Journal of Neuroscience, 37(13):3646-3660, 2017. PMCID: 5373140. * Co-first authors
- Womersly JS, Uys JD. S-Glutathionylation and Redox Protein Signalig in Drug Addiction. Prog Mol Biol Transl Sci. 2016;137:87-121. PMCID: 4881420
- Uys JD, McGuier NS, Gass JT, Griffin WC 3rd, Ball LE, Mulholland, PJ. Chronic intermittent ethanol exposure and withdrawal leads to adaptations in nucleus accumbens core postsynaptic density proteome and dendritic spines. Addiction Biology, 2015 Mar 17. PMCID: 4573771.
- Tew KD, Manevich Y, Grek C, Xiong Y, Uys JD, Townsend DM. The role of glutathione S-transferase P in signaling pathways and S-glutathionylation in cancer. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 2011 Apr 22. PMC Number: 21558000
- Reisnner KR, Uys JD*, Schwacke JH, Comte-Walters S, Rutherford-Bethard J, Dunn T, Blumer J, Schey KL, Kalivas PW. AKAP Signaling in reinstated cocaine seeking revealed by iTRAQ proteomic analysis. Journal of Neuroscience, in press, 2011.*Co-first authors
- Xiong Y, Uys JD*, Tew KD, Townsend DM. S-glutathionylation: From Molecular Mechanisms to Health Outcomes. Antioxidants Redox Signaling, in press, 2011.* Co-first authors
- Uys JD, Xiong Y, Townsend DM. Nitrosative stress-induced S-glutathionylation of protein disulfide isomerase. Methods in Enzymology, 490:321 – 332, 2011.
- Uys JD and Reissner KJ. Glutamatergic neuroplasticity in addiction. Progress in Molecular Biology and Translational Science, Conn, P. Michael (Ed.), Elsevier, 2011.
- Uys JD, Manevich Y, DeVane LC, Garrett TE, Pazoles CJ, Tew KD, Townsend DM. Preclinical pharmacokinetic analysis of NOV-002, a glutathione disulfide mimetic. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, 64(7): 493 – 498, 2010.