Daniel R. Knapp, PhD
Distinguished University Professor Emeritus
Adjunct Professor of Bioengineering
Office: CRI 316
Mass Spectrometry, Protein Structure and Function, Proteomics
The major focus of this laboratory is proteomics, defined as the study of the repertoire of proteins expressed in a system. Work is underway on development of new technology for proteomic analysis using microfluidic devices and new modes of ionization for mass spectrometry analysis. The laboratory includes a cleanroom and other facilities for microfabrication as well as vacuum deposition systems for preparation of nanostructured thin films. Another project is the development of a new approach to dealing with the very large range of protein concentrations encountered in proteomic analysis. The focus of applications is upon cerebrospinal fluid proteomics as an approach to probing changes in the central nervous system.
Recent Publications | Additional Publications
1. R Nayak, A K Sen, J Liu, and D. R. Knapp. Matrix-Free LDI Mass Spectrometry Platform Using Patterned Nanostructured Gold Thin Film, Analytical Chemistry 82: 7772–7778, 2010.
2. Sen AK, Darabi J, Knapp DR. Design, fabrication and test of a microfluidic nebulizer chip for desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Sens Actuators B Chem. 2009 Apr 2;137(2):789-796. PubMed PMID: 20161284; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2682712.
3. Nayak R, Liu J, Sen AK, Knapp DR. Dual desorption electrospray ionization-laser desorption ionization mass spectrometry on a common nanoporous alumina platform for enhanced shotgun proteomic analysis. Anal Chem. 2008 Nov 15;80(22):8840-4. Epub 2008 Oct 21. PubMed PMID: 18937429.
4. Waller LN, Shores K, Knapp DR. Shotgun proteomic analysis of cerebrospinal fluid using off-gel electrophoresis as the first-dimension separation. J Proteome Res. 2008 Oct;7(10):4577-84. Epub 2008 Sep 9. PubMed PMID: 18778093.
5. Schilling M, Knapp DR. Enrichment of phosphopeptides using biphasic immobilized metal affinity-reversed phase microcolumns. J Proteome Res. 2008 Sep;7(9):4164-72. Epub 2008 Jul 22. PubMed PMID: 18642943.
6. Chen G, Svec F, Knapp DR. Light-actuated high pressure-resisting microvalve for on-chip flow control based on thermo-responsive nanostructured polymer. Lab Chip. 2008 Jul;8(7):1198-204. Epub 2008 May 23. PubMed PMID: 18584098.
7. Shores KS, Udugamasooriya DG, Kodadek T, Knapp DR. Use of peptide analogue diversity library beads for increased depth of proteomic analysis: application to cerebrospinal fluid. J Proteome Res. 2008 May;7(5):1922-31. Epub 2008 Mar 22. PubMed PMID: 18357977.
8. Sen AK, Nayak R, Darabi J, Knapp DR. Use of nanoporous alumina surface for desorption electrospray ionization mass spectrometry in proteomic analysis. Biomed Microdevices. 2008 Aug;10(4):531-8. PubMed PMID: 18204903.