Skip Navigation
MUSC mobile menu


  • Education
  • image
  • Addiction
  • Addiction


In 2013, the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) announced the establishment of the K12 Career Development Program in Drug Abuse and Addiction. The K12 Career Development Program at MUSC  supports the research career development of junior faculty members who have recently completed clinical training or postdoctoral fellowships, and who have mentorship and a solid plan for training in clinical research relevant to drug abuse and addiction. This is a K12 career development program funded by the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA).

MUSC's NIDA K12 Program provides intensive mentored research experiences designed to prepare outstanding junior faculty to become independent investigators in drug abuse and addiction research.

As part of the program, scholars receive:

  • Didactic instruction in responsible conduct of research, experimental design, biometry, statistical analysis, research methods, and basic research skills related to drug abuse and addiction, in order to provide a strong, comprehensive base of relevant knowledge and skills
  • Seminars and journal clubs in drug abuse and addiction research in order to promote information exchange and interdisciplinary interaction in the context of current findings and new implications
  • Ongoing activities providing continuing review and consultation in critical areas such as biostatistical consultation, research ethics, human subject protection and privacy issues, and grantsmanship, in order to ensure continuous learning, sound judgment, and awareness of changing dynamics in scientific research
  • A comprehensive evaluation plan utilizing formative and summative techniques as well as formal and informal approaches for reviewing and evaluating both scholar progress and program effectiveness in order to provide outstanding mentoring in research relevant to drug abuse and addiction

Key information:

  • 3 year maximum term
  • 75% minimum effort (The remaining 25% effort can be divided among other research, clinical and teaching activities if these activities are consistent with the proposed goals of the K12 program)
  • $90,000 maximum salary
  • At the time support begins, scholars may not have served as the principal investigator (PI) or equivalent on an NIH research project (R01) or as PI of mentored career development (K-series) grant. Candidates may not have served as the PI on an NIH research project grant or equivalent non-PHS peer-reviewed research grant over $100,000 direct costs per year. Scholars may not hold any other PHS award that duplicates the provisions of this career award. During the period of this award, scholars are encouraged to apply for, and may accept and hold, independent research grant support.
  • U.S. citizens or non-citizen nationals, or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence and possess an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151 or I-551) or some other verification of legal admission as a permanent resident

Eligibility: Junior faculty and senior fellows/post-doctoral trainees pending faculty appointment with a doctorate and less than 5 years of research training who are committed to a career in clinical research in drug abuse and addiction. Scholars are scientists with doctoral-level professional degrees who represent a broad range of disciplines, professions, specialties and sub-specialties, and who can develop into future leaders of clinical research.  Examples include MD, PhD, DO, DDS, DMD, and PharmD. All candidates with clinical doctorates are expected to have completed the specific requirements leading to clinical certification. 

To apply: There is currently a call for applications. Applications are due by 5:00 pm on Thursday, May 31st, 2018. Interested candidates who plan on applying should provide a Letter of Intent no later than Tuesday, May 1, 2018.

More information on the NIDA K12 (including an application link), or contact Amanda Wagner (

Our Mission

To understand, prevent and treat alcohol, tobacco, and drug addiction through innovations and excellence in research, treatment, and education.
View MUSC's Facebook page Follow MUSC on Twitter View the MUSC Health Youtube channel Read the MUSC Health blog circle arrow MUSC_TAG_SOLID_1C