Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Ned Higgins, MD and Russell Barkley, PhD
Russell A. Barkley, PhD and Edmund S. Higgins, MD
|At the completion of this session, the participant will be able to:|
|1. Appreciate the downstream effects of altered gene expression that occur when stimulant medications increase dopamine|
in the synapses.
2. Discuss the neurotoxic potential associated with the CNS stimulants.
3. Use caution when prescribing CNS stimulant medications.
4. Debate the pros and cons of medication use in the management of children with ADHD.
5. Review the major medications for management of children with ADHD and their typical effects, side effects, advantages
6. Raise critical issues concerning the rapid rise in medication use, and potential adverse effects suggested in human and