Laura Arnstein Carpenter, Ph.D., BCBA
[Pediatric Psychology rotation]
Dr. Carpenter received a B.A. in Psychology from the University of California at San Diego and a PhD in Clinical Psychology from the State University of New York at Binghamton. She completed her internship and postdoctoral fellowship at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), focusing on neuropsychology and on autism spectrum disorders. She currently is an Associate Professor of Pediatrics in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Genetics and Developmental Pediatrics at MUSC. Dr. Carpenter’s clinical interests include autism spectrum disorders, neuropsychological assessment, and applied behavior analysis. Dr. Carpenter is a Board Certified Behavior Analyst. She coordinates an autism spectrum disorder diagnostic clinic and provides evaluation and consultation for children with neurological and psychiatric diagnoses. She supervises psychology interns and post-doctoral fellows in the area of pediatric assessment, with a focus on autism spectrum disorders.
Research interests: Epidemiology of autism spectrum disorders, clinical trials of treatments for autism spectrum disorders
Honors/Awards: 2003 - 2005 National Institutes of Health Loan Repayment Award for Pediatric Research
- Maenner, MJ, Rice, CE, Arneson, CL, Cunniff, C, Schieve, LA, Carpenter, LC, Van Naarden Braun, K, Kirby, RS, Bakian, AV, Durkin, MS (accepted for publication). Potential Impact of DSM-5 Criteria on Autism Spectrum Disorder Prevalence Estimates in the United States. JAMA Psychiatry.
- Nicholas JS, Carpenter LA, King LB, Jenner W, Wahlquist A, Logan S, Charles JM. (2012). Completeness of Case Ascertainment for Surveillance of Autism Spectrum Disorders using the Autism Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network Methodology. Disability and Health Journal.
- Cheely CA, Carpenter L.A., Letourneau E.J., Nicholas J.S., Charles J, King L.B. (2012). The prevalence of youth with autism spectrum disorders in the Criminal Justice System. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
- Logan SL, Nicholas JS, Carpenter L, King L, Garrett-Mayer E, Charles J. (2012) High prescription drug utilization and associated costs among Medicaid-eligible children with autism spectrum disorders identified by a population-based surveillance system. Annals of Epidemiology, 22(1), 1-8.
- Spratt EG, Nicholas JS, Brady KT, Carpenter LA, Hatcher CR III, Meekins KA, Furlanetto RW, Charles JM. (2012) Enhanced cortisol response to stress in children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 42(1); 75-81.
- Rice C, Nicholas J, Baio J, Pettygrove S, Lee LC, Van Naarden Braun K, Deornberg N, Cunniff C, Newschaffer C, Meaney FJ, Charles J, Washington A, King L, Kolotos M, Clancy K, Mervis C, Carpenter L, Yeargin-Allsopp M. (2010). Changes in autism spectrum disorder (ASD) prevalence in four areas of the United States. Disability and Health, 3(3), 186-201.
- Soorya L, Carpenter LA, & Romanczyk RG (2010). Applied behavior analysis. In Hollander, Kolevzon, & Coyle (Eds) Textbook of Autism Spectrum Disorders. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc.
- Nicholas JS, Carpenter LA, King LB, Jenner W, Charles J. (2009). Autism spectrum disorders in preschool aged children: prevalence and comparison to a school aged population. Annals of Epidemiology, 19 (11), 808-814.
- Carpenter, L.A., Soorya, L.V., & Halpern, D. (2009). High Functioning Autism and Aspergers Disorder. Pediatric Annals, 28:1. 30-35.
- Mandell DS, Wiggins LD, Carpenter LA, Daniels J, Durkin M, Giarelli E, Morrier MJ, Nicholas JS, Pettygrove S, Pinto-Martin JA, Shattuck PT, Thomas K, Yeargin-Allsopp M, Kirby RS (2009). Racial and ethnic disparities in the identification of children with autism spectrum disorders. American Journal of Public Health, 99: 493-498.
- Charles, J.M., Carpenter, L.A., Jenner, W. & Nicholas, J.S. (2008). Recent advances in autism spectrum disorders. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine, 18:1, 133-140.
- Nicholas, J.S., Charles, J.M., Carpenter, L.A., King, L.B., Jenner, W. & Spratt, E.G. (2008). Prevalence and Characteristics of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Annals of Epidemiology, 18(2), 130-136.
- King, LB, Nicholas, JS, Carpenter, LA, Jenner, WH, Charles, JM (2008). Characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorders over time: Surveillance results from children born between 1992 and 2002. Annals of Epidemiology, 18(9):724-725.
- Brown, R.T., Boeving, A., LaRosa, A., Carpenter, L. (2008). Health and Chronic Illness. In Wolfe, D. & Mash, E. (Eds.), Behavioral and Emotional Disorders in Adolescents. New York: Guilfold Press.
- Spratt, E., Applegren, K., Carpenter, L.A, Macias, M. (2008). Childhood disintegrative disorder. In Gilman, S. (Ed.), MedLink Neurology. San Diego: MedLink Corporation. Available at www.medlink.com.
- Carpenter, L.A. & Macias, M.M. (2007). Screening and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorders (ASD). The Journal of the South Carolina Medical Association, 102(8), 271-273.
- Brown, R.T, Carpenter, L.A., & Simerly, E. (2005) Mental Health Medications for Children: A Primer. New York: Guilford Press.
- Arnstein, L.M. & Brown, R.T. (2005). Prenatal and perinatal exposure to neurotoxins and deprivation. In D’Amato, R.C., Fletcher-Janzen, E. & Reynolds, C.R. (Eds.) Handbook of School Neuropsychology. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Romanczyk, R.G., Arnstein, L.M., Valluripalli, L., & Gillis, J. (2003). The Myriad of controversial treatments for autism: A critical evaluation of efficacy. In Lillienfeld, Lohr, & Lynn (Eds.), Science and Pseudoscience in Contemporary Clinical Psychology. New York: Guilford Publications.
- Soorya, L.V., Arnstein, L.A., Gillis, J.M., & Romanczyk, R.G. (2003). An overview of imitation skills: implications for practice. Behavior Analyst Today, 4(2), 114-123.
- Spratt E.G., Arnstein L.M., Macias M.M. (2003). Autistic Spectrum Disorders. In Ailman, G.W., Goldstein, S.G., Waxman, Griesemer D. (Eds), MedLink Neurology. San Diego: Arbor Publishing, Inc.
- Romanczyk, R.G. & Arnstein, L.M (2001). Early intensive behavioral intervention for autism: Continuum of efficacy. Leadership Perspectives in Developmental Disabilities, 4, 1-3.
- Rice, C, Baio, J, Wiggins, L, Morrier, M., Hobson N, Nicholas, J, Carpenter, LA, Lee, L-C, & Pettygrove, S. (2009, May) Trends in Diagnostic Testing for Autism Spectrum Disorders in a Population-based Sample from Four Areas of the United States. International Meeting for Autism Research, Chicago, IL.
- de Villiers, P.A., de Villiers, J.G., Coles-White, D., Carpenter, L.A. (2008, November). Acquisition of Relevance Implicatures in Typically-Developing Children and Children with Autism. Paper presented at Boston University Conference on Language Development, Boston, MA.
- Nicholas, JS, Charles, JM, Carpenter, LA, King, LB, Jenner W. (September, 2007). Prevalence and characteristics of children with autism spectrum disorders South Carolina. Annual Meeting of the American College of Epidemiology, Miami, FL.
- Arnstein, L., Charles, J., Nicholas, J., King, L., & Brown, R. (2004, July). Predictors of Early Diagnosis In Autism Spectrum Disorders. Poster presented at the National Conference for Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Washington D.C.
- Charles, J., Arnstein, L., King, L., Nicholas, J. & Jenner, W. (2004, May). Perceptions of Changing Needs of Children with ASDs Among Educators in South Carolina. Poster presented at the International Meeting for Autism Research, Sacramento, CA.
- King, L., Nicholas, J., Arnstein, L., Jenner, W., Charles, J. (2004, July). Using Geographic Information Systems To Link Data From The South Carolina Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network With Available Environmental Data. Paper presented at the National Conference for Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities, Washington D.C.
- Curriculum Vitae: available upon request