Office of Research Development
Seminars & Workshops
Develop & Write Grants
- UP Your Game: Deconstructing Multi-Component Research Grants
- “Nail Those Aims!" - NIH Specific Aims Best Writing Practices Seminar
- R01 Webinar: 8 Ways to Successfully Navigate NIH Peer Review and Get an R01 Grant. Slides | Video
- Providing Education & Enrichment for Research Success (PEERS) Workshop Series
Communicate your Research
Diversity your Portfolio
- NASA, International Space Station & Center for the Advancement of Science in Space Research Opportunities
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) Workshop
Agency-specific Policies & Updates
On April 10, 2018, The Office of Research Development hosted the UP Your Game: Deconstructing Multi-Component Research Grants Panelist Discussion. Moderated by Kimberly Cannady, PhD, Lead Advisor for Research Training & Outreach Initiatives, the panel discussion delved into best practices for preparing and submitting a complex research grant. Slides | Recording
The panelists included:
- Stephen A. Duncan, DPhil, Professor & Chair, Regenerative Medicine & Cell Biology
- Marvella E. Ford, PhD, Professor, Public Health Sciences
- Chanita A. Hughes-Halbert, PhD, Professor, Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
- Steven A. Kautz, PhD, Professor & Chair, Health Sciences & Research
- Teresa J. Kelechi, PhD, FAAN, RN, Professor, Nursing
- Besim Ogretmen, PhD, Professor, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Peggy Schachte, MBA, Emeritus Director, MUSC Office of Research Development
Please contact Dr. Kimberly Cannady (email@example.com) for additional information.
- "Nail Those Aims! - NIH Specific Aims Best Writing Practices PowerPoint
- Handout-R03 Example and Handout-R01 Example
Program Officers, Dr. David Hickam, Program Director of the Clinical Effectiveness and Decision Science program and Dr. Chinenye Anyanwu, Engagement Officer, visited MUSC on July 18, 2017 to discuss PCORI's current priorities, mission, structure, and engagement requirements. If you were unable to attend this workshop but would like review presentations, they are provided along with Dr. Kathleen's Brady slides.
- MUSC’s Approach to Comparative Clinical Effectiveness Research (Dr. Kathleen Brady)
- Patient-Centered Comparative Clinical Effectiveness Research Programs (Dr. David Hickam)
- Planning for Successful Engagement (Dr. Chinenye Anyanwu)
For more information and/or to suggest a future workshop topic, please contact Wanda Hutto at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On April 26, 2018, the MUSC Office of Research Development and the MUSC Library sponsored Biblios, Bios, and Searches, Oh My: The Wizardry of My NCBI, a collaborative teaching approach designed to help MUSC faculty maximize their use of My NCBI.
This seminar was co-presented by Kimberly Cannady, PhD, ORD Lead Advisor for Research Training & Outreach Initiatives, and Teri Lynn Herbert, MS, MLIS, Associate Professor at the MUSC Library. If you were unable to attend this seminar, a step-by-step guide on navigating My NCBI has been provided for your convenience. Slides
Contact Dr. Kimberly Cannady (email@example.com) with any questions.
Dr. Matthew Fenton, Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases' (NIAID) Division of Extramural Activities, and Dr. Shawn Gaillard, NIAID's Research Training Officer, recently visited MUSC to discuss funding and career development opportunities within the institute. If you were unable to attend these sessions but would like access to their presentations, copies of their slides are provided below along with the NIAID strategic plan for FY2017. Audio recordings of these sessions will soon be posted as well. For additional information or if you have questions, please contact Alexis Nagel, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Dr. Matthew Fenton: 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. - MUSC NIAID Update
- Dr. Matthew Fenton: 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. - Career Development slides
- NIAID Strategic Plan 2017
- Alexis Nagel, Ph.D. (Office of Research Development) provided an overview of the revised NIH rules and regulations for Human Subjects research and Clinical Trials going into effect January 25, 2018. Slides
- Stacey Goretzka, C.I.P. (IRB Manager) provided an update and considerations related to the NIH single IRB mandate. Slides
Click here for audio recording of this Town Hall. For additional information, please contact Dr. Alexis Nagel (email@example.com).