Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
NIH ERA Commons Accounts
What is a Commons user name?
The user name identifies you in the Commons and, along with your password, allows access and provides functionality according to your assigned role.
Who needs a Commons account?
Those required to have a Commons account:
- Principal Investigators (PI's) submitting a grant application;
- Trainees on NIH training grants;
- PostDocs paid from NIH grants;
- Graduate and undergraduate students who participate in NIH-funded projects for at least one person month or more (NIH-OD-13-097);
- Reviewers and those that serve on an NIH study section.
- Administrative staff who wish to assist PI's. The PI must delegate the specific privileges desired. These include
- Editing the personal profile
- Editing eSNAP data
- Viewing grant status
- Performing xTrain functions (except submitting to agency)
How do I get a Commons account?
If you have ever submitted a grant application to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), you already have an account. If the submissions was from another university or agency, we will need to affiliate your account with MUSC. Call ORSP and your grants administrator will be happy to help you accomplish this.
To Request an Account
Send an email to email@example.com and put "Request NIH Commons Account" in the subject line. In the body of the email, include your full name, email address and the role that you are requesting. This will determine your access and rights within the system. You may also complete this online form.
- ASST - Assistant delegated to perform tasks on behalf of the PD/PI
- GRADUATE_STUDENT** - Graduate Student participating in an NIH-funded project for at least one person month
- PI - Program Director/Principal Investigator who directs a research project or program supported by NIH (includes trainees and post-docs who are applying for fellowships)
- POSTDOC - Individual that's mentored and not yet in a permanent position or receiving support from the SCTR KL2 program (postdoctoral scholar)
- PROJECT_PERSONNEL** - An individual performing other project roles on a project
- SCIENTIST** - An individual who is participating in an NIH funded project for at least one person month
- SPONSOR - Supervise research training experience of fellows in the xTrain module
- TRAINEE - Manages electronic appointments of their awarded training grants or receiving support from the SCTR TL1 program (predoctoral trainee). If you have an appointment on an NIH training grant, you should already have an eCommons account
- UNDERGRADUATE** - An individual in an undergraduate program and is participating in and NIH funded project for at least one person month
** THIS ROLE HAS NO PRIVILEGES. IT IS USED FOR REPORTING PURPOSES ONLY.