|Meeting Minutes September 16|President (Sheldon)
Reading of September 2nd minutes: Approved
Introduction of New Members
SGA Notebooks: We have notebooks for everyone. This year they’re smaller due to feedback for smaller notebooks. Use the notebooks to keep announcements, etc. to keep you organized. You should bring them to each meeting.
Saturday Attendance: How many not coming to the Retreat Saturday? 8 unattending; if you can’t come, email Meg.
Retreat Part II – Saturday, September 19, 2008
Marriott Blue Topaz Room, 170 Lockwood Drive, breakfast will be served at 8:30, the meeting will start at 9. We’re doing NCBI training on diversity and team training, which will be good interprofessionally and for us as a student government. The training will be done by 12, and we’ll have lunch at 12.
Commencement Speaker Suggestions: Sheet passed around on suggestions; we do have a say as students.
Perkins Loan Information: The Federal Government is trying to change the Perkins Loan program, which will make the Perkins become more like the Stafford Loan. Currently interest accrues once you graduate, but with the change, the interest will begin accruing when you take out the loan. There is also no longer a cancellation benefit if you practice in an under-served area. Currently with the loans, the school is given the money and the school decides who gets the money. However, now the school will no longer decide who needs the money the most. You can write the Congressmen to get this changed/prevent this from changing.
Robin (Programs): They prefer if you call. They will be voting on this issue on Wednesday or Thursday. The number to call is on your handout.
Sheldon (Pres): Pass this information on to classes. Some scholarships have a stipulation where if you practice in a certain area, some of the debt can be cancelled.
Cari (CON): Will it take effect on current loans?
Sheldon: No, just on loans now being taken out. Dr. Maggitti is passionate about this. I encourage you to take action.
Constitution Article III, Sections 7-11: This is found in the notebooks; talks about roles of each of the officers and what our main roles are for SGA. Please look at this and talk with colleges about the committees. There is an overview for what we do as committees in this section. We will give brief summaries for each committee later. Ideally we want someone from each college on each committee. Also, start thinking about next year-do you want more stake in SGA? Do you want to be an officer? Some of us (Andrea, myself) are moving on, so I would like to see elections be more successful with more people running.
John (Treasurer): As treasurer, I’m also in charge of the Service Committee. We strive to serve the surrounding community in any/all ways and serve a diverse population. Tonight, we will sign our oaths and each person on my committee will be assigned a service event for the fall and spring and you will be in charge of the event. Liz and I have been in charge of the past events, but in the future you will have direct responsibility and be in charge of it yourself. We’ll talk about any input you have into making SGA service better, and things to do this year and next year. We’ll meet after the regular meetings probably every other meeting.
Andrea (Programs VP): My committee helps plan events. I use you a lot to come up with ideas, themes, and t-shirt designs. The fun part is sampling the wine and beer for Oktoberfest/Wine Tasting. For Alhambra, y’all serve as area coordinators and are responsible for the reps in the areas.
Sheldon: Student Welfare Committee: I’m trying to put y’all in charge of specific events, such as legislative day, or an appreciation event for engineering facilities/housekeeping. This year we are looking into an event for parking management. EPIC has an event on Friday; I have been talking with Guinea who has been heading this, so we need SGA support and a liaison. We’ll have the Safety Walk again this year. We might have someone in charge of elections to get more student involvement. Two years ago, we had 800 voting, last year we had only 300 voting. Part of that was due to the number running for office. We are trying to answer the question of how can we make student life better, such as with cleanliness of rooms, parking, etc
Tyler (Academic VP): Academic Affairs Committee: We deal with legislation with the student body, the constitution’s bills and amendments, any academic area such as the library, the Academic Portal for the website, C3, Honor Council and amendments. I’m going to assign people tasks; it will be better if people take charge.
Meg (Secretary): Communications Committee: We will be working to increase communication around campus and between the reps and the colleges. This can be through fliers, emails, etc. We will also be addressing the Student Broadcast email system.
Ideas/Selection: Has anyone heard anyone talking about things to improve?
Carol (COP): More bike racks next to COP, and microwaves in the library
Tres (COP): Location of smoking shed and the smoking shed between BSB and library
Sheldon: Is this an issue of enforcement or the fact that they are there? Tres: Both; mostly enforcement because people are not in the hut smoking. Are they too small?
Cari: It’s a problem with the actual location because people like to sit at the tables between the BSB and library
Tres: Especially with the new COP building and the construction, this will be a problem because it will be a central place on campus in a couple of years
Lauren (CON): Problem with parking at Hagood: after 8:30, the lot is full and they are no longer giving passes, so you have to go to Parking Management and pay $5 for a day pass, and they are only giving out 5 passes a month. There’s no more student parking on campus this or next semester. This ends up being a 45-min ordeal, so something needs to be done with the process.
Sheldon: I’ve been talking to Melinda about opening a Lockwood lot for students.
Sanford (COM): There is a lot on President Street/Cannon Street that they are trying to sell-MUSC should look into it.
Sheldon: This used to be CC lot and we used to lease it.
Megan (CHP): I bought an AA spot, but the lot is filled at 8. They need to enforce who is parking there.
Sheldon: So where do you park when this happens?
Megan: They will let you in President St Garage if your lot is full and you call Parking ManagemenT
Andrea: They oversell the lots.
Trent (CDM): The pigeon population is a problem.
Cari: Back to parking, Bee Street garage is full, but from 4:30 pm-7 am, the lot is open so you can go in early without your ID, so enforcement is a problem.
Linnea (CGS): They do ticket there.
John: They are very strict about ticketing.
Jessica (CHP): Water device in the horseshoe, maybe a fountain?
Maria (CHP): Dodgeball. My class liked that idea.
Andrea: There are 2 leagues in town.
Mackie (COP): We need covered bike racks, maybe in stairwells.
Erin (CGS): In the courtyard between BSB and library, there are not enough benches at tables
Program Vice President (Andrea)
MUSC Art Walk (Exclusive to MUSC)
Friday, September 25, 5:00-8:00 pm
French Quarter, Downtown – 13 Galleries
Wine, teas, hors d’oeuvres, and dessert
Worker Sign-ups TODAY; need lots of workers
Going to be a big event and it’s the 1st cultural event like this because we’ve never had an art walk before. It’s going to be like the City’s art walk, but exclusively for MUSC. I need a lot of you to work. Remember that you need 3 worker spots this semester. With this event and Oktoberfest, there are not many more events to get worker slots filled. You will be in charge of standing by the door handing out maps and stickers saying you are with MUSC and allowed into the reception. Sign-ups are going around. I need you to be there 5-10 min. earlier than shift starts so you know what to do, especially if you are the first shift. Be sure to allow time to park around the French Quarter on the Queen Street area. Whatever you sign up for, write it on your map so you’re prepared.
Mackie: Do students need to bring ID?
Andrea: No, just use your better judgement about letting people in because this is a private event. We will have bartenders serving alcohol, so bring ID. You’ll also need to make sure people don’t walk out on the streets with alcohol because this is illegal.
Carol: Clarification on the clean-up shift: a clean-up counts as 2 events? (Yes)
Andrea: We also invited Dr. Greenberg, and Dr. Shaw.
Friday, October 9, 7:00-10 pm – HSC Courtyard
Sign-ups will be held at the Sept 30th meeting at 5:00PM outside the front door
Held in the courtyard this year, hopefully no rain this year. We will move it if it rains. Pretzels!
SGA Movie Under the Stars
Friday October 23, 7:00-10:00 pm - HSC Courtyard
Sign-ups will be held at the Oct 14th meeting at 5:00PM outside the front door.
Blow-up theatre screen from Cinnebarre. We’ll have hot dogs, maybe pretzels, peanuts, popcorn, candy, soft drinks, BYOB. Also in the courtyard, so bring chairs. We don’t know what movie yet, but hopefully next meeting we will have a list. We can’t show opening weekend movies, but we can show new movies, but we don’t know what we are allowed to show yet. I may get my committee to help pick. If it rains, it will be cancelled, but the screen can still play if drizzling.
Academic Vice President (Tyler)
Parliamentary Procedures: This is an introduction to how SGA operates, so put this handout in binders as go-to reference for how we operate. Last year, we got too wrapped up in rules and it slowed us down. We will make the rules looser, so if anyone has questions when we are voting/making a motion, ask if you don’t understand. The first few parts are going over how/why this works. The main point: how this can be fair and how everyone has a voice. When we make a motion, any motion you make, you need a second. If anyone objects (anyone can), then you take a vote on the issue (2/3 vote on the motion—ex. minutes). The 2nd read of the budget is tonight; when you have 1st read: accompanied by a Q&A to understand. The 2nd read is for debate before you actually vote. This sheet goes over how we do things, how to interrupt meeting (ex: Point of Order) This will help you as we go through the year. We won’t follow this to a tee, but don’t hesitate if you have questions. We will go through bills and amendments slowly in the beginning, but it’s not that complicated. If anyone wants to propose a bill or amendment, we have forms on which these should be submitted. Come to me and we can help you with this.
PowerPoint: This will be shown at the next meeting to help you understand.
University Honor Council Structure: The University has individual Honor Councils for each college and the student chairmen and faculty advisors of each make up the University Honor Council. If someone has a cheating violation, it goes to the student’s college’s Honor Council. The University Honor Council makes sure each college Honor Council does their job and everyone operates under the same guidelines/Code. We (the University’s Honor Council) recommend changes to the Honor Code.
National Primary Care Week Planning Committee: I have 4 things that my committee will be working on, and this is one of them. We have been asked to help plan this week. This will be inclusive for all colleges and we will have speakers. We will try to provide lunches and have interesting speakers specific for the colleges.
Library use policy: Dr. Shaw has asked us to create a permanent policy, especially for the 1st floor. Bob Poyer wants an information area located around the library. Sheldon and I have been working with Dr. Shaw about smoking. Sheldon is going to introduce legislation to Columbia and we are going to work on the smoking issue.
Reminder about service sub-committee
Feedback from Sea-Island Habitat: First event for the fall. There were 4 of us as well as Liz and other groups. We worked on roofing and framing. E-vals are available for the events we have done if you participated and didn’t fill them out before.
Update for Blood Drive: Presented at MUSC Gives Back Luncheon. Charity Challenge; we have had lots of positive feedback. It will be held on Tuesday, October 13 in the gym for the main drive. The 20, 21, 22 will be in the Blood Donor Room. We will have the room reserved and we are committed to having the slots filled up. Please tell your classes and sign up at www.givelife.org sponsor code CBDC and select MUSC Students Charity Blood Drive Challenge. Appointments have priority over walk-ins. The Challenge is based on units of blood based on college percentages. There are money prizes for the winning classes for organization in need (Ex: COM with Disability Research Center, each college has their own charity). We will also need people to sign up and work the event, which will count as your service event. Sign-up sheet passed around.
Reminder about Crisis Ministries dinner: This is next week and it is already full. If you can’t go, let me know because it’s popular. Information will be coming through email. Service Committee may head-up another dinner.
Cannon Street Y: Yesterday we went and played with kids and put up a basketball goal. In the future, we will have one of these visits a month, from 3-5:30 mentoring kids age 4-14. Sign-up sheet passed around.
Sat. Oct 3: Charleston Miracle League baseball from 9-12, so you can work 1-hr shifts. Don’t need baseball skills. Passed around sign-up sheet.
Liz (MUSC Gives Back): This is an association to help kids living with disabilities, so we will need volunteers to help children walk, push wheelchair, etc. There is a special ball field for people in wheelchairs/walkers.
Tyler: We’ve already had 1st read, where it was presented to the Body for the first time. We have 2 reads so you can digest it. If you have to pass something quickly, it can be done in one meeting, but usually two. John wants to motion to read by title only, which can be seconded. Objections? So no objections and the motion carries.
John: We have updated numbers; nothing has been taken away, but some information has been added (column for net expenses, cost per person, attendance at the event so you know how much money we spent, how much tickets brought in, etc.)
Sheldon: 2 min Q&A. Debate for 2 min since no questions. Vote.
Tyler: Sheldon called previous question, s o we vote. We have a hand vote; if room is 50/50, you can call division to count to make sure correct. Budget approved.
Review of the last meeting for the new reps
Communicating dates to classes—new email system. I sent out an email with the list of dates for the upcoming year. This will be updated as we have events or have new events added. Please send this out to your classes so everyone knows what is coming up.
Attendance/Rep Requirements: You are allowed two unexcused absences each semester. Each rep needs to work 3 events each semester and attend one service project. All of these requirements can also be found on the SGA website and all of your information will be updated on the site regularly.
Contact Information: Updated sheet passed around, make sure it is correct.
Website Updates: There are updated links for rep requirements, etc. There are also lists of upcoming dates.
Flag football update: We started last week with 25 teams, which is the most we have ever had. This is a problem because we play 6 games a week so we are going to use the practice field. We are going to have fewer time slots to help the referee problem, but it will cost a little more. We will make it work sine the demand is there. Last week 12 teams played, this week 12 will play, then the 3rd week everyone will play. The practice field is next to the field where we usually play.
Tennis: Tennis socials this semester: on Thursdays. October 15 from 7-10 and November 19 from 7-10 pm on the HSC roof. Any Wellness Center members can play.
Andrea: You have to be a Wellness Center member to play? Can you pay to just play intramurals?
Kevin: Yes, if you are eligible to play intramurals. Eligible players are: MUSC students, MUSC students’ spouses; MUSC staff/faculty; and Wellness Center community members. If students’ spouses or MUSC staff/faculty are not Wellness Center members, they must pay $5. (if a student’s guest) or $10.
Kayak Trip: Oct 10, the Saturday after Oktoberfest, meet at 10 and we’ll kayak 11-2. It will be on the freshwater side of Cooper River, which is good for alligator spotting. $25, two tickets per ID. Limited to 50 people. Sign up tomorrow.
College and Organizational Reports
MUSC Gives Back
Student Programs (Robin)
CCA Discount Tickets: Selling many subscriptions to this; MUSC students eligible for 67% for 6 performance series. Cash or check payment.
University Honor Council/University Honor Code: SGA developed the University Honor Code in 2000 so that all MUSC students would be held to the same standards and academic dishonesty treated in the same manner. Until 2000, each college had their own Honor Code and specified different infractions, methods of handling cases and sanctions. The SGA Academic VP has the responsibility of chairing the University Honor Council. Tyler has done a great job of working with the University Honor Council to update the University Honor Code – the recommended new amendments were just approved by the Deans’ Council. All cases heard by the colleges are reported to the University Honor Council and to the MUSC SGA and included in the SGA’s minutes. There is a website for the Honor Code, members of the University Honor Council and basic information (charge, verdict, sanctions) on all cases heard since 2000.
Campus Safety Conference: MUSC to host-Kevin: State-wide conference on February 17-19 at Francis Marion. Reps from colleges around the state talking about campus safety. Student Forum as part of this; we are active in the planning of this. Would two students want to help? Anna Collins, Travis Ayers
Willette (Programs): Meeting in the next couple of weeks before Oct 16 meeting, free food.
Alicia (Programs): Scrolling images on the website for the month for CAPS and Student Health. I need two male volunteers for models from 2-4:30 Friday with Jessica and Amanda. (Mackie and Will)
University Wide Committees
Sheldon: HSC Wellness Advisory Board: This is another way we have input; we just started a spinning class this week. Increasing programs all the time, anything you want to see in HSC, let me know. Last 2 years, we have increased the hours, which is why we close at 10.
Mackie: Photography classes? They had them last year. Maybe boxing? Other workouts.
Andrea: Photography will be going on, check Student Broadcast
Linnea: They tested boxing class once a week with James, but not a large response. They are getting TRX machine for exercising and there will be classes. Look for announcements; you will need an instructor.
Dental: Trent: new dental school open students can receive care for a fee. See Sheldon, Seay, or Trent. We can do things other than cleanings. State-of-the-art, new technology.
Sheldon: Screening for Board patients, we will do things for free.
Graduate Studies: Linnea: Academic Portal meeting earlier today. The Portal is like iGoogle so you can personalize your own page with information for your college, WebCT, Blackboard, etc. There are complaints about searching on the webpage now, but they were very open to what we would want. Suggestions: the ability to personalize you page with weather, news, calendar, etc. Hoping to start in the spring.
Tyler: Piloting study in CHP starting in the next couple of months, then going to the other classes. Lots of potential; student announcements, class, college, university information, Facebook chat. We want students to talk about this when it starts; we will get a speaker on this as a sneak peek.
International Student Association
Multicultural Student Advisory Board: Next meeting October 15 at noon at ELC 107
Sheldon: Committee distribution, divide up into committees