Medical University | MUSC Hospital Student Life home | Directory | MUSC A-Z

  

MUSC logo

welcome to art services

   

  


Meeting Minutes - January 19, 2010

 

Speaker: Mary Mauldin speaking on Learning Commons; head of this initiative.  Several months ago I told you we were working with Clemson’s architecture program to discuss plans for the building, and they have given us three plans.  Dr. Greenberg and some engineering facilities members were at this meeting, and we are now working with the VP for Development to raise funds for the library, which will take a great deal of time.  We took the Clemson students through the library in December, and they were surprised by the condition, and they want to invest money into the renovation of the third floor.  The University has its own architect and we are working with designers to get new carpet, furniture, and dividers, and hopefully we will have this done soon.  Last week when it was so cold, we found out the heat wasn’t on.

  • Carol Brown (Academic VP):  Do you have the posters that were made?
  • Yes, and we will put these out of the designs.  Also, on Wednesdays, we were having free coffee and snacks, which will be continued.  We will also have vendors in the horseshoe every other Wednesday (Taco Boy, Jack’s Cosmic Dogs).  We will continue Wired Wednesdays, and once a month we will do some sort of training sessions for you, such as the use of Adobe Connect, how to give a presentation.  On the first floor is a coffee service.  We know you wanted a food service on the first floor, which is something we have been working on for the past six months.  We have written a request for a proposal on this and have talked to a lot of people about this, and have been advised that a food vendor is not a good idea because there is not enough traffic in the library.  The cost is 75 cents for coffee, hot chocolate, and tea.  We are working on getting a vending machine with healthy snacks for the first floor and maybe the second floor with power bars, sports drinks, etc.  We have a Learning Management system (WebCT and Blackboard), and we will be switching to Moodle in the summer, and faculty will be trained on this.

Speaker:  Jessica Jones, Jory Gibbons; philanthropy chairs for PA class in CHP.  We are hosting Mr. MUSC, the King of Hearts Pageant on February 17th.  We want all colleges to participate.  We have contestants from some colleges.  Talk to us/SGA reps if your college wants to be in this!  50% goes into the fundraiser with attendance, penny voting in the horseshoe, and ticket sales.  With the penny sales, pennies are positive points for the contestants, and silver coins are negative points.  50% will be the pageant event.  This is supposed to be funny.  All proceeds are going to Water Missions International and the CARES Clinic.  The deadline for participation is this Friday.  Email mrmusc@gmail.com if interested.  There are a couple of meetings to attend.  $50 minimum sponsorship fee from your class, checks made to MUSC PA Class 2012. class="bodytext1"

President :  Tyler Pierce
Old Business

Reading of January 5, 2011 minutes:  approved

New Business

Bee Street Update:  construction complete where the garage is, so traffic congestion should be alleviated.  Now they are moving down to Federal Credit Union and Bee Street Lofts, and all should be complete in April.

SGA Officer Applications – Due February 25th; see Student Programs if you are interested in running.
Elections - March 30th & 31st

Update on Smoking Resolution:  Speaking with Beau and Mark, we have progress to put this into bills.  We have support from House representatives, so we are hopefully to get this passed, but this will be a long process into the late spring/early summer.

  • Jay Wagner (CHP Rep):  What are they going to do with the smoking hut?
  • We just want the ability to be smoke free, but it will be a long time before we actually are smoke-free because there will be a lot against this, including patients and providers.  To eliminate the smoking huts is the main goal.
  • Jay:  Is Dr. Greenberg supporting this?  (Yes, University and hospital administration support this, but the push-back is because we are taking away peoples’ rights).

Learning Commons Fundraiser:  Dr. Mauldin has asked us for $3000 for furniture, which we approached her about.  My committee is working on fundraising ideas, and we have come up with a jail bail with faculty/staff to be put into a “jail” on campus, and they can’t get out until they raise a certain amount of money.  We also thought about having a change collection at SGA events.  If you have any ideas, let me know. 

Reps (2) to clean up after meeting: Kate Hicks (COM Rep), Travis Ayers (COM Rep)

Program Vice President:   Erin Pardue
Old Business

Oyster Roast – Evaluation Sheet; environmentally-friendly cups this year!  We also sold out before the event, so there were no ticket sales at the door, so we had to turn away MUSC students.  Should we limit the number of tickets that can be purchased so it is more an MUSC function, or keep it open so everyone can come?  Or we can just sell tickets a couple of weeks before the event and have no ticket sales at the door. 

New Business

Night at the Ballet – February 4th:  Blue Jeans Ballet, 7:30pm at Charleston Ballet Theatre on 477 King Street with FREE wine/cheese reception with dancers following performance; Tickets: $5/student, $10/non-student (2 per MUSC ID)

Chamber Music Charleston - February 2nd, 12:00-12:45 in ECL Lobby (1st Wednesday of every month)

Make Your Own Valentine's in Student Programs Office; February 1-14

Winetasting – February 25th at SC Aquarium (7:00-10:00pm); ticket prices may be increased to $25 this year and it is limited to 800 people.  Ticket sales will be done in Student Programs.

  • Katie Rubel (CON Rep):  Lottery for SGA reps?
  • We will do it based on the number of people that want to work the event.  If you work, you get in free, but otherwise it is $25/ticket.
  • Louisa Gill (CHP Rep):  Cocktail attire, nicer event.  We need to act classy this year, otherwise we may not be able to use this same venue in the future.
  • John Brandt (Treasurer):  We want to increase ticket sales to ensure this event remains classy, as a winetasting.  Also, three social events take up the majority of the spring budget, and we want to make sure we have enough money for other events, like cultural and service events. 
  • Tyler:  For new reps, you will get your tickets in advance.  In response to last year, we had broken glass, people throwing up, and we cannot have this again. 

Program Committee Meeting

Academic Vice President:  Carol Brown
New Business

Library Locker Update:  72 lockers still available for students.  Go to the 4th floor.  MUSC will provide locks.

Treasurer:  John Brandt

New Business

Spring 2011 Budget Summary:  There have been a few changes, but the overall numbers remain the same.

Second Read of Constitutional Amendment 11-01:  Thomas Tyner; basically we are adding to the Constitution. 

  • John:  Pro.  Now the funds we don’t spend will be able to rollover, because most of our fund requests come in the spring.
  • All in favor.

Vote for SGA Allocations Requests:
COM 2013 sponsored Clash of the Classes:  Total cost $1200, and they have asked for this full amount.  Looking in the bylaws, we have $2000 available, but we can only give $600 because it is not an educational event.  We are voting to give them $600.  They are still having the event whether we fund them or not.

  • Katherine Shugart (COP Rep):  The $600 would guarantee the field needed.
  • Clint Larkins (CHP Rep):  We need to know what other events coming up.
  • We have $100 rolling over from last semester.  The budget was approved before the bill was approved.
  • Kathryn Holt (COP Rep):  It is COP spring break, so COP won’t be participating.
  • Kate Hicks (COM Rep):  18 teams signed up.
  • Thomas Tyner (COM Rep):  Each class of COP had a rep there today.
  • Erin:  It doesn’t seem to have a wide variety of events.  I would like to see more team sports.
  • Kate:  They didn’t want to plan too much until they have the field.
  • Carol:  I think this is a good idea.  They have talked to class presidents to see how many are interested.
  • The field is open, but has not been reserved by them yet.
  • $600 to Clash of the Classes.

Relay for Life:  Total budget of $5000, and they have asked for $1500.  We are thinking of giving them the $700 sound system, so then we would give less money.  Majority of participation from MUSC and CofC, and MUSC raised the most money last year.  We still have $1500 left in the allocations fund.

  • Katherine:  Give PA system and $800.
  • Jordan Hill (CHP Rep):  Isn’t the fund supposed to go for interprofessional events?  It seems like it only funds those that want to participate.
  • Anyone who wants to participate can, and SGA does have a team.  Last year we had a huge increase in the number of students participating.  It is not specifically an MUSC event, but it is open to everyone.
  • Erin:  We have already budgeted $300 for Relay.
  • This covers SGA members’ registration fees, not Relay expenses.
  • Stephanie Buckley (CHP Rep):  Is CofC giving money?  Yes, but we don’t know how much.
  • The $5000 is for all of the event.  The other money comes from CofC and us.
  • Amanda Pirovitz (CHP Rep):  Do they need the $1500 and the PA or just the PA?
  • The budget is based on the event in the past, but the venue is a lot more expensive.
  • Tyler:  They were looking at $1500 from us and $1500 from CofC.
  • Jay:  I’m concerned that between the two events tonight, we won’t have enough funds left for other events later.
  • We might end up holding money for someone that never comes.
  • Clint:  This is a huge interprofessional event.
  • Last year we didn’t give any funds to Relay, and we only gave money to one event for $355.
  • Katherine:  Concern about money being left over, we will still have $700.
  • 30 days before the event to request fund, and we have not had any other requests.
  • $800 and PA system given.

Upcoming Service Projects
Dinner at Florence Crittenton:  January 24th from 5:30-8:30pm; Ladies only, and they are excited about us coming.  Note date change.  (Emily Allen, CON Rep)

Crisis Ministries Saturday Soup Kitchen – January 29th from    9:30am-12:30pm (Stephanie)

Student Blood Drive Challenge & Bone Marrow Registry – Feb. 8 from 12:00-5:00pm, Harper Student Center Gym (Wenjun He, ISA Rep)

  • Donor sign-up online: www.givelife.org (Code: MUSCSW); sign up before the event until 3:30, then first come first serve, and refreshments will also be served.  Goal of 49 units, and we already have 14 signed up.  There is a new format for giving blood to save time, but it will probably take about an hour.  If we get 53 units, we can increase our goal.
  • Fixed Site Drive: Feb. 15-17 from 10:00am-4:00pm; sign-up online for this as well with a different code

MLK Healthy Snack Shack – Feb. 19th from 11:00am-1:00pm at a local elementary school

Secretary:  Meg Croom
New Business

Phi Lambda Sigma Leadership Conference; last day to register this coming Friday, the 21st.  $45 for students.
Still need students from CGS and CDM; contact Dr. Javed and Dr. Wright ASAP if you are interested

CLARION competition needs faculty advisors; contact me if you know anyone who may be interested.  First team meeting is Monday night.

Intramurals:  Kevin Smuniewski

Softball captains’ meeting; February 1st at 5:15pm; season starts February 13th

  • Kate:  Soccer?  (We still have less than 100 students, so we may have a one-day event).  This will be discussed in the Programs Meeting, and we can send something out on the Broadcast.

College and Organizational Reports

MUSC Gives Back

Student Programs:  Willette Burnham

  • Call for nominations Earl B. Higgins Achievement in Diversity Award – Due Feb. 4

University Wide Committees:  Crystal Johnson (COM Rep):  Relay Kick-off in CHP tomorrow at 6, and you can sign up for teams.  Pizza will be provided.

  • National Primary Care is next week, and we need these distributed across campus.  Volunteers to help distribute please!

Dental:  Seay Walker (CDM Rep):  dental screenings at 5 pm for Boards still going on

Graduate Studies

Health Professions

International Student Association

Medicine

Multicultural Student Advisory Board:  Matt Tice (MSAB Rep):  MLK Essay Contest winners:  Ashley M from COM, A. Rodriguez from COM, Emily Allen from CGS.

  •  Next meeting February 7th, ECL 103.

Nursing

Pharmacy:  Andy Curtis (COP Rep):  text messages for inclement weather policy?  Inclement weather is currently not considered an urgent issue.

  • Tyler:  MUSC Alert is for everyone, so employees would also get these text messages about classes being cancelled.  I’ll talk to Dr. Shaw.





Untitled Document





 
 DID YOU KNOW??
student calendars
 
MUSC SGA President
Brandon Hagan, CDM

Contact Us

 

    
Find Us on Facebook!



Student Life A-Z 
Slideshow
Tobacco-free Campus
Response to Active Shooter


Contact Webmaster
  

 



  

 Copyright 2011
 Medical University of South Carolina                                                       
 All Rights Reserved
                                                                                                                                                                              
  SmartState   HSSC