Funds Request: Colin Johnson (PA Student): Mr. MUSC Pageant on February 10th at Memminger Auditorium, tickets $10; raises money for scholarships at St. Johns High School (5 seniors will benefit; based on leadership). $900 request from SGA as well as use of electronic equipment; we need funds for the actual rental, professional lighting, decorations. Memminger seats 450 people.
- Fundraisers: sunglasses, coozies, penny voting
- Questions: Last year we gave money to the CARES Clinic, Water Missions, and the high school students.
There are no other co-sponsors for the event.
This will be voted on at the next meeting.
President: Brandon Hagan, sub for Carol Brown
Reading of January 4th minutes: approved
Introduction of new reps
SGA Executive Officer applications will be handed out at the next meeting, due February 24th. Elections will be at the end of March. Applications will also be available in Student Programs. If you are interested in a position, please contact any of the exec! You can also come sit in at one of our executive officer meetings.
Reps (2) to clean up after meeting: Brian Harley, Jake Schubert (CON Reps)
Program Vice President: Erin Pardue
Exam Break Evaluation from December 5th, 12th
Oyster Roast Evaluation: 1628 people attended and the weather was great! class="apple-style-span"
Improv Comedy Night @ Theatre 99 – Thursday, January 26; reception at 7:00pm, showtime at 8:00pm; please arrive before showtime as doors will close at 8pm!
One drink ticket and free appetizers will be provided, cash bar too.
TICKETS: $5 for students, $10 for non-students (2 per MUSC ID); tickets on sale in Student Programs and this event will sell out!
Chamber Music Charleston Concert – Thursday, February 2; 12:00-12:45pm in the ECL Lobby
Bring your lunch and enjoy free music!
Charleston Stage: “Avenue Q” @ Dock Street Theatre – Friday, February 10 at 7:30 p.m.
Language and content may be offensive – mature audiences only. This is an adult musical with puppets. FREE private MUSC reception during intermission
TICKETS: $5 for students, $10 for non-students (2 per MUSC ID); limited tickets available
Academic Vice President: Brandon Hagan
Library/Learning Commons Update: new microwaves for library; this was brought to my attention last week. SGA purchased the microwaves
Wednesday noon day-lecture series: Dialogue on Diversity and Health Care Disparities. MUSC Students Commitment to Diverse Healthcare “One Story….Many Voices”—open to all students
Academic Affairs Committee Meeting
Treasurer: Kate Hicks
Coupon book sales/returns tonight or in Student Programs
Oyster Roast expense report: we were $1000 underbudget and $1500 of the revenue was given to the Learning Commons
Spring 2012 Budget Final Read: read by title only; budget passed
Upcoming Service Events:
- Hope Lodge dinner 1/25: we need a few more people to sign up
- Blood Drive 2/14: we will be giving away two free tickets to the Winetasting to those who donate
- MLK Day of Service Healthy Snack Shack 2/18
- Relay for Life information: Friday, April 13th 5 pm- 5 am. Many of the colleges also have teams, but SGA has a team as well.
Secretary: Meg Croom
Thursday 3/1 (5:30-8:30pm)- Clarion Competition @ Storm Eye Institute
Reception following the competition; free to students and staff.
Need two reps to help set up and two for clean up; look for an email after the meeting tonight! The first 4 reps to email me will have the worker spots.
Intramurals: Kevin Smuniewski
Softball captains’ meeting – Tuesday, Feb. 7th at 5:15pm, HSC Auditorium. Games will be Sundays at 1 pm in Mt. Pleasant from February 29 to April 2.
College and Organizational Reports
MUSC Gives Back: Liz Sheridan
- MLK Day of Service 2/18: if anyone is interested in sponsoring a booth on healthy habits for children, contact us. We would like this to be an interdisciplinary event.
- Blood Drive: This is a competition among the MUSC colleges. There is a one-day blood drive in the gym, followed by three days at the fixed site in the hospital.
- MUSC Gives Back database online: this website is undergoing improvements. We do like to recognize the students with volunteer hours, so please report your hours, both on the group and individual level.
Student Programs: Dr. Willette Burnham and Nancy Lemon
- MLK Essay contest: thank you for your submissions! A COM student won the contest and read his essay this past week at a MLK service.
- Earl B. Higgins Achievement in Diversity Award Deadline on Friday, February 3rd
- Thank you for your great behavior at the Oyster Roast this year! Please let us know if you need any support from Student Programs. If you need letters of recommendation, please allow me at least 48 hours!
- New reps will need to have their pictures taken at the next meeting!
University Wide Committees
Dental: Cason Hund; free dental screenings until March 27th in the evenings at 29 Bee Street, no appointments necessary. This is for the fourth year students’ dental licensure exams. This will be free for the patients. Cleanings are not included in this screening.
Health Professions: Will Wantland; Mr. MUSC February 10th
International Student Association
Medicine: Irfan Rhemtulla; Clash of the Classes Captain’s Meeting January 26th at noon in BSB. The event will be March 2nd and 3rd.
Multicultural Student Advisory Board
Nursing: Lindsey Palmer; next week is National Primary Care Week. Free lunch to the first 75 people who attend the noon lectures in BSB 100. There are a variety of topics. There will be an email and this will also posted on the SGA TV.