President: Brandon Hagan, sub for Carol Brown
Reading of November 30th minutes: approved
MUSC Mobile App review: You received an email about this over the break. If you haven’t tried it yet, please do. This program is going to be implemented as soon as possible.
SGA suggestions for Tobacco-Free Campus activity: this will be Wednesday, February 29th. If you have any ideas about activities we can do as a campus for this event, let us know.
Reps (2) to clean up after meeting: Anaa Lockamy (CHP Rep), Sara Garrett (CGS Rep)
Program Vice President: Erin Pardue
Friday 1/6 - Oyster Roast @ the Visitor's Center Bus Shed (7-10:30 pm)
Tickets on sale now - $12 in Student Programs (2 per Student ID) and Horseshoe from 12-1 pm. Make sure your classes know this event will sell out and there may not be ticket sales at the door.
The worker list is online and there are still a few spots remaining. Reminder of worker requirements: 3 events per semester, and Alhambra is required. If you work the event, you don’t have to buy a ticket.
Thursday 1/26 – Improv Comedy Night @ Theatre 99; reception at 7pm, showtime at 8pm.
Please arrive before showtime as doors will close at 8pm! One drink ticket and appetizers will be provided, cash bar too.
TICKETS: $5 for students, $10 for non-students (2 per MUSC ID). There are only 130 tickets available!
Academic Vice President: Brandon Hagan
Library/Learning Commons Update (Lockers and Carrels): carrel applications will be accepted until tomorrow (1/5) and you will be notified by 1/12. Lockers are still available as of today; go to the 4th floor service desk in the library for a locker. The lockers are first-come first-serve.
University Honor Council Case Notifications
CON had two cases: one plagiarism (guilty, dismissed from program), second charge was falsifying chart information (guilty; required to retake course, written letters of apology required)
CHP case: stealing technology (guility, verbal/written reprimand to remain in file until graduation)
Each sanction was handled by the individual colleges’ honor councils.
Compusult Technology Student Discounts: email from Mary Mauldin will be sent out; this is located downtown and offers great studedent discounts
Noon day-lecture series: Dialogue on Diversity and Health Care Disparities. MUSC Students Commitment to Diverse Healthcare “One Story….Many Voices.” Let us know if there are any speakers you would like to hear or any topics you are interested in (contact Brandon or Office of Student Diversity). Students can present at this as well.
Treasurer: Kate Hicks
Fall Budget Review: $9500 underbudget due to downsizing events, food/beverage choices, recreation events
Kevin Smuniewski reviewed budget.
Spring Budget First Read: we have added the Running of the Bull 5K to be held in early March (recreation event), intramural soccer has also been added, Oyster Roast will be more expensive because we are using local oysters this year, we have allocation funds rolled over into this semester. This budget will be emailed to you for review prior to the next meeting.
Spring service schedule
Coupon Book: we are not planning to sell in the hospital again, especially since we are so close to the holidays. Bring your book and order forms/money to the next meeting.
Service Committee Meeting
Secretary: Meg Croom
Website update; email Meg if information from last semester is not correct
Thursday 3/1- Clarion Competition at Storm Eye Institute. Need two reps to help set up and two for clean up.
Intramurals: Kevin Smuniewski
- Thursday 1/5- Winter Basketball Captains Meeting @ 5:15pm HSC Auditorium: send captain/representative to this meeting if you are interested. Rosters due in two weeks.
- Volleyball: starts Sunday and continues through the first Sunday in February
College and Organizational Reports
MUSC Gives Back: Liz Sheridan
Tuesday, January 17th: spread the word about the MLK Day of Service! SGA will be sponsoring the Healthy Snack Shack, but other organizations can participate as well to teach children and young adults about health. This will be at the city gym off of Hagood. This is an annual event which has gotten larger in the past couple of years. Sign up with SignUp Genius with MUSC Gives Back or with SGA. Boxed lunches will be provided.
Student Programs: Dr. Willette Burnham
- MLK Essay Contest Deadline Monday, January 9th by 5pm, program will be at noon next Wednesday. Cash prizes to the winners! See your handouts as well as your emails and remind your classes about this.
- Earl B. Higgins Achievement in Diversity Award Deadline Friday, February 3rd. Please resend this email as well so your peers can be nominated for cash awards and a trophy. Contact me with questions.
- Tobacco-free kick-off event: Dr. Shaw would like these recommendations and this will be shared with the President’s Office. This event will be the same night as SGA, so we may have a portion of the meeting at this event. Remind your peers who smoke there will be low-cost programs to help stop smoking.
- Reminder if you are working the Oyster Roast, do not drink during your worker spot. This will affect your likelihood of working the Winetasting.
University Wide Committees
International Student Association
Multicultural Student Advisory Board