Provide an environment that promotes the application, development, and transfer of technology, fosters and rewards innovation, cultivates human capital, and responds to emerging priorities to advance health care, education, and research.
“As a major medical research university, we have two important roles – to develop new technologies and innovations and to accelerate the transfer of these advances to biomedical applications.
Our spirit for providing an appropriate environment and fostering collaborations to support these efforts has never been higher.”
- Richard Swaja, PhD - Chair
Innovation is discovery put to use. It begins with a novel idea and proceeds through implementation. Novel ideas lead to change, and change challenges established structures and approaches. For important advances to occur in health care, education, and research, MUSC needs to foster a culture that enables, encourages, and rewards innovation.Objective
The primary goal of academic technology transfer is to ensure that research benefits the public. As a leading biomedical research institution, MUSC can play a prominent role in improving health care and driving the economy of South Carolina and the region, by transferring new technologies and innovations to the patient community through commercialization and entrepreneurship. Accelerating the transfer of new technologies and innovations facilitates improved health care, provides new revenue opportunities, and enhances the University’s impact and visibility at regional, national, and global levels.
MUSC already has a wide variety of existing technologies and resources available to promote innovation. However, new technologies and approaches demand constant evaluation and incorporation to assure that programs can access and leverage state-of-the-art resources.
Maximize the use of resources and technologies to advance health care, education, and research at MUSC and throughout South Carolina.
- Identify, communicate, implement, and continuously evaluate existing and novel technology platforms and approaches.
- Provide professional development and training in the use of new technologies.
- Develop core capabilities that offer advanced, comprehensive technologies and special services to the University and broad health sciences communities.
- Provide resources that support administration and implementation of technologies to ensure agility, functionality, inter-operability, and quality.
Create and nurture an environment that fosters innovation.
Provide substantial and tangible incentives to encourage and reward the discovery and application of new technologies and approaches throughout the University enterprise.
Enhance MUSC’s impact and visibility by communicating discoveries and developing collaborations at the local, state, national, and global levels.
Develop new and strengthen existing centers of expertise dedicated to the application and translation of novel technologies and approaches.
Encourage innovative teaching methods that adapt to emerging learning patterns and are collaborative, interactive, and interdisciplinary.
Accelerate and capitalize the transfer of new technologies and research advances.
- Enhance infrastructure to support and streamline administrative, business, legal, and regulatory aspects of commercialization and entrepreneurship.
- Provide mentoring resources for advice and assistance in all aspects and phases of technology transfer.
- Engage industry and technology communities to identify opportunities for advice, business development, and financial support.
Identify and sustain new revenue streams that adapt to changing biomedical economic environments.
- Pursue new economic opportunities through partnerships with communities, foundations, and other public or private organizations.
- Provide responsive and rapidly adaptive pathways to implement entrepreneurial pursuits for the good of the patient, community, and University.