|The Medical University of South Carolina|
Student Leadership Society
Click here to view members of the Student Leadership Society.
The purpose of the MUSC Student Leadership Society is to recognize those students who have made notable contributions to the university through their character, service and commitment to enhancing the university environment. Students selected for the Society personify the ideals of the University as being caring, compassionate, ethical, proficient and creative individuals who have demonstrated the qualities needed to be effective leaders and members of interprofessional teams.
Criteria for selection include evidence of:
- Having made the university a better place through their service and contributions by the example they set for others through their character, integrity and spirit of giving
- Embodying the characteristics of servant leadership including listening, empathy, awareness, persuasion, conceptualization, foresight, stewardship, commitment to the growth of others, and building community
- Commitment to working effectively with diverse groups including other health professional students
- Promoting interprofessional and interpersonal respect and understanding
- Significant accomplishments and service to university-wide or interprofessional initiatives
- Potential for future contributions as a leader not only in their own profession, but also in the broader context of health care or biomedical research
Faculty, administrators and fellow students will nominate candidates for the Leadership Society annually. Students in any year of study may be nominated. Nominees should be in good academic standing. A nomination form will be provided with documentation requested that addresses the criteria. A two-page resume/curriculum vita will also be required.
A selection committee made up of faculty, staff and administrators who serve at the university level will review nominations. Approximately five – eight students will be selected each year and inducted into the Society at an annual student leadership celebration.
Submit nominations and all materials by March 28, 2012 to:
Willette S. Burnham, PhD
Executive Director of Student Programs and Student Diversity
Harper Student Center SW 213
843-792-2146 or 792-2693
Click here to download the nomination form.