Dr. Marc R. Katz says using a robotic system to do mitral valve repairs allows him to go through muscle instead of the breastbone, and cameras give him 3-D vision magnified 10 to 15 times during the procedure.
Gabe Cade had a rare condition that caused a tumor so big, it could be seen through his skin.
Nancy DeMore, M.D. teamed up with Clemson engineering students to work on a device that will improve patient experience and lower costs.
The MUSC Department of Surgery combines excellence in clinical care, innovation in research, and best-in-class training to advance the next generation of surgical leaders.
- Student fights rare complication from common virus
- Teamwork makes heart procedures less invasive, reduces recovery time
- MUSC Surgical Oncologist Dr. Andrea Abbott Earns Certification for Hidden Scar™ Breast Cancer Surgery
- Pediatric heart surgery ranks nationally
- Surgeons Use Innovative Robotic Advance in Breast Reconstruction
- New procedure eases pain of breast reconstruction after mastectomy
- MUSC’s pancreas team named among best in country
- 3-D skull technology a no-brainer in neurosurgical cases
- Specialists at the MUSC Breast Center innovate to advance care for women with breast cancer
- New minimally invasive surgery for patients with tumors in the lower rectum
- MUSC-based startup wins National TechConnect Innovation Award
- Aaron Lesher, M.D., develops new app that takes the sting out of burn care
- Young Transplant Surgeon Wins Prestigious NIH Award
- John McGillicuddy, M.D., Awarded $1.11 Million NIH Grant
- Cancer immunologist Mark Rubinstein, Ph.D. helped design the clinical trial that will test whether a two-drug combination can boost some lung cancer patients' immune response to the disease.
- NIH $1.68 M grant funds research to help patients with pancreatitis, diabetes
- Rochelle Ringer, M.D. Recognized for Top Quality Care
- Nancy DeMore, M.D. Selected to the Top 10 Medtech Women in Southeast
- Katherine Morgan, M.D. Honored with 2017 MUSC Foundation Outstanding Clinician Award.
- Mark Lockett, M.D., Named Surgeon Lead for SC Surgical Quality Collaborative
- M. Lance Tavana, M.D. Named Program Director for Integrated Plastic Surgery Residency Program
- Satish Nadig, M.D. Ph.D. Recognized by the American Society of Transplant Surgeons: 2017 Rising Stars in Transplantation Award
- Nancy DeMore, M.D. Appointed MSTP Associate Program Director
- Michael Yost, Ph.D. received a Certificate of Recognition from the State of South Carolina and the South Carolina Academy of Science, signed by Governor Nikki Haley, for excellence in scientific awareness
- H. Biemann Othersen, Jr. M.D. Honored with Naming of Pediatric Operating Suite
- Jean Marie Ruddy, M.D. Receives the 2017 Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society Early Career Faculty Research Award
- Katherine Morgan, MD, FACS Named to New ACS Educational Program
Welcome, New Faculty
- Barry Gibney, D.O.
- Laura Hollinger, M.D.
- Mahsa Javid, M.D.
- Angello Lin, M.D.
- William Lancaster, M.D.
- Lucian Lozonschi, M.D.
- Mathew Wooster, M.D.
- Sanford Zeigler, M.D.
The Department of Surgery hosts numerous educational and philathropic events throughout the year. Learn more.
The Department of Surgery welcomes your questions and comments. To reach a divsion, Please contact our administrative offices.
Department of Surgery
Clinical Sciences Building Suite 420
96 Jonathan Lucas St.
Charleston, SC 29425
Chair: Prabhakar Baliga, MD FACS
Administrative Coordinator to the Chair: Andrea Forgacs