Division of Vascular Surgery Knowledge Objectives 3rd and 4th Year Medical Students
You are responsible for reading the vascular surgery chapters in any standard surgical text. You should review the pertinent anatomy prior to participating in any surgical procedures. You must review and be familiar with the following concepts:
1. Vascular anatomy of the abdomen, neck and extremities.
2. Basic physiology of blood flow and hemodynamics.
3. Fluid and electrolytes
4. Renal physiology
5. Pathophysiology of atherosclerosis
6. Cerebrovascular disease and stroke: medical vs surgical treatment
7. The difference between vasculogenic claudication and other causes of leg pain.
8. Abdominal aortic aneurysms: Diagnosis and prognosis.
9. Basic vascular laboratory tests and results.
10. Acute arterial ischemia
11. Acute deep venous thrombosis and chronic venous insufficiency.