Dr. Marc R. Katz says using a robotic system to do mitral valve repairs allows him to go through muscle instead of the breastbone, and cameras give him 3-D vision magnified 10 to 15 times during the procedure.
Gabe Cade had a rare condition that caused a tumor so big, it could be seen through his skin.
Nancy DeMore, M.D. teamed up with Clemson engineering students to work on a device that will improve patient experience and lower costs.
The MUSC Department of Surgery combines excellence in clinical care, innovation in research, and best-in-class training to advance the next generation of surgical leaders.
- New procedure eases pain of breast reconstruction after mastectomy
- MUSC’s pancreas team named among best in country
- 3-D skull technology a no-brainer in neurosurgical cases
- MUSC-based startup wins National TechConnect Innovation Award
- Aaron Lesher, M.D., develops new app that takes the sting out of burn care
- Young Transplant Surgeon Wins Prestigious NIH Award
- John McGillicuddy, M.D., Awarded $1.11 Million NIH Grant
- New minimally invasive surgery for patients with tumors in the lower rectum
- Cancer immunologist Mark Rubinstein, Ph.D. helped design the clinical trial that will test whether a two-drug combination can boost some lung cancer patients' immune response to the disease.
- NIH $1.68 M grant funds research to help patients with pancreatitis, diabetes
- Katherine Morgan, M.D. named one of three recipients of the 2017 MUSC Foundation Outstanding Clinician Award.
- Mark Lockett, M.D., Named Surgeon Lead for SC Surgical Quality Collaborative
- M. Lance Tavana, M.D. named Program Director for Integrated Plastic Surgery Residency Program
- Satish Nadig, M.D. Ph.D. Recognized by the American Society of Transplant Surgeons: 2017 Rising Stars in Transplantation Award
- Nancy DeMore, M.D. Appointed MSTP Associate Program Director
- Michael Yost, Ph.D. received a Certificate of Recognition from the State of South Carolina and the South Carolina Academy of Science, signed by Governor Nikki Haley, for excellence in scientific awareness
- H. Biemann Othersen, Jr. M.D. Honored with Naming of Pediatric Operating Suite
- Jean Marie Ruddy, M.D. Receives the 2017 Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society Early Career Faculty Research Award
- Katherine Morgan, MD, FACS Named to New ACS Educational Program
Welcome, New Faculty
- Barry Gibney, D.O.
- Laura Hollinger, M.D.
- Mahsa Javid, M.D.
- Angello Lin, M.D.
- William Lancaster, M.D.
- Mathew Wooster, M.D.
- Sanford Zeigler, M.D.
The Department of Surgery hosts numerous educational and philathropic events throughout the year. Learn more.
The Department of Surgery welcomes your feedback, comments and questions. Have an interesting story to share? Want to send a Thank you note to your surgeon or care team? We'd love to hear from you and are happy to help!
Lauren Adams Hooker, Communications