Department of Surgery
Do-Sung Kim, PhD
Do-Sung Kim, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow of Surgery (PI: Hongjun Wang)
2006-2008 Ph.D. Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Republic of Korea
2008-2011 Post-doctoral Fellow, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Republic of Korea
2011-2012 Post-doctoral Fellow, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
2002-2008 Assistant of Pharmacology, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Republic of Korea
2010 Research Assistant Professor of Pharmacology, Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, Republic of Korea
The Wang lab focuses on pancreatic islet cell biology and transplantation immunology in the treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes and chronic pancreatitis.
Type 1 diabetes: Islet cell transplantation is the most potent therapy for patients with type 1 diabetes. However, there are two major problems besetting this process. First, there are not enough islets available for transplant. Second, islets after transplantation are often undergoing apoptosis due to the stresses encountered during islet harvest and after transplantation and the consequent immune rejection response, thus their function are compromised. Ongoing projects in the Wang lab focus on solving these problems. Major areas of investigation include:
(i) The roles of a protective gene, heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) and its products, carbon monoxide and bilirubin in islet transplantation;
(ii) Generation of insulin-secreting cells from adult stem cells (e.g., adipose stem cells, umbilical cord stem cells) to expand source of transplanted islets;
(iii) Developing novel encapsulation methods using FDA approved nanoparticles to protect islets from apoptosis and immune rejection;
(iv) Understanding the role of the Regulator of G Protein Signaling 2 (RGS2) in islet regeneration.
Chronic Pancreatitis (CP): CP is a long-standing inflammation of the pancreas that alters its normal structure and functions. Current therapies for CP patients focus on pain relief medically, endoscopically and surgically (by resection of diseased parenchyma and drainage of obstructed ducts). In patients with intractable pain and those with diffuse small duct diseases, total pancreatectomy with islet autotransplantation (TP-IAT) can be an ideal treatment option. Compared to other treatment options for CP, TP-IAT has a higher potential to eliminate pancreatic pain without total sacrifice of the endocrine function of the pancreas. Together with Drs. David B Adams and Katherine A Morgan, we are developing interventional procedures including induction of protective genes, nano-encapsulation, and co-transplantation with mesenchymal stem cells to improve islet yield quantitiy and quality in order to prevent onset of surgical diabetes after TP-IAT in patients with chronic pancreatitis.
Type 2 diabetes: Prevalence of obesity has become a social and economic burden for health care today. In addition, obesity is a major cause for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes (T2D). We have found that HO-1 induction or bilirubin administration reduce hyperglycemia, increases insulin sensitivity in both the leptin-receptor deficient (db/db) mice and the diet-induced obese mice. The goal of our study is to further understand the molecular mechanisms of HO-1 and bilirubin, and to develop clinical applicable therapies to improve obesity and insulin resistance.
1. Hwang BM, Noh EM, Kim JS, Kim JM, Hwang JK, Kim HK, Kang JS, Kim DS, Chae HJ, You YO, Kwon KB, Lee YR. Decursin inhibits UVB-induced MMP expression in human dermal fibroblasts via regulation of nuclear factor-κB. Int J Mol Med. 2012 Dec 4. doi: 10.3892/ijmm.2012.1202. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Kim DS, Li B, Rhew KY, Oh HW, Lim HD, Lee W, Chae HJ, Kim HR. The regulatory mechanism of 4-PBA against ER-stress induced cell death and autophagy in human gingival fibroblasts. Arch Pharm Res. 2012 Jul;35(7):1269-78. Epub 2012 Aug 3.
3. Marahatta A, Bhandary B, Lee MR, Kim DS, Lee YC, Kim SR, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Determination of phenylbutyric acid and its metabolite phenylacetic acid in different tissues of mouse by liquid chromatography with tandem mass spectrometry and its application in drug tissue distribution. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2012 Aug 15;903:118-25. Epub 2012 Jul 20.
4. Lee GH, Kim DS, Chung MJ, Chae SW, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Lysyl oxidase-like-1 enhances lung metastasis when lactate accumulation and monocarboxylate transporter expression are involved. Oncol Lett. 2011 Sep 1;2(5):831-838. Epub 2011 Jul 5.
5. Bhandary B, Piao CS, Kim DS, Lee GH, Chae SW, Kim HR, Chae HJ. The protective effect of rutin against ischemia/reperfusion-associated hemodynamic alteration through antioxidant activity. Arch Pharm Res. 2012 Jul;35(7):1269-78. Epub 2012 Aug 3.
6. Marahatta A, Kim DS, Kim HK, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Isolation of Tanshinone IIA and cryptotanshinone in salvia miltiorrhiza using two conventional extraction techniques and quantification by validated HPLC method. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. Vol4, Suppl1, 627-631.
7. Lee HY, Kim JH, Jeung HW, Lee CU, Kim DS, Li B, Lee GH, Sung MS, Ha KC, Back HI, Kim SY, Park SH, Oh MR, Kim MG, Jeon JY, Im YJ, Hwang MH, So BO, Shin SJ, Yoo WH, Kim HR, Chae HJ, Chae SW. Effects of Ficus carica paste on loperamide-induced constipation in rats. Food Chem Toxicol. 2012;50(3-4):895-902.
8. Baek HA, Kim do S, Park HS, Jang KY, Kang MJ, Lee DG, Moon WS, Chae HJ, Chung MJ. Involvement of endoplasmic reticulum stress in myofibroblastic differentiation of lung fibroblasts. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2012 Jun;46(6):731-9.
9. Yoon H, Kim DS, Lee GH, Kim KW, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Apoptosis Induced by Manganese on Neuronal SK-N-MC Cell Line: Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) Stress and Mitochondria Dysfunction. Environ Health Toxicol. 2011;26:e2011017.
10. Piao CS, Kim DS, Ha KC, Kim HR, Chae HJ, Chae SW. The Protective Effect of Epigallocatechin-3 Gallate on Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury in Isolated Rat Hearts: An ex vivo Approach. Korean J Physiol Pharmacol. 2011 Oct;15(5):259-66.
11. Cui Y, Bhandary B, Marahatta A, Lee GH, Li B, Kim DS, Chae SW, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Characterization of Salvia miltiorrhiza ethanol extract as an anti-osteoporotic agent. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011 Nov 28;11:120.
12. Lee GH, Kim DS, Kim HT, Lee JW, Chung CH, Ahn T, Lim JM, Kim IK, Chae HJ, Kim HR. Enhanced lysosomal activity is involved in Bax inhibitor-1-induced regulation of the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress response and cell death against ER stress: involvement of vacuolar H+-ATPase (V-ATPase). J Biol Chem. 2011 Jul 15;286(28):24743-53.
13. Yoon H, Lee GH, Kim DS, Kim KW, Kim HR, Chae HJ. The effects of 3, 4 or 5 amino salicylic acids on manganese-induced neuronal death: ER stress and mitochondrial complexes. Toxicol In Vitro. 2011 Oct;25(7):1259-68
14. Kim DS, Kwon DY, Kim MS, Kim HK, Lee YC, Park SJ, Yoo WH, Chae SW, Chung MJ, Kim HR, Chae HJ. The involvement of endoplasmic reticulum stress in flavonoid-induced protection on cardiac cell death caused by ischaemia/reperfusion. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2010 Feb;62(2):197-204.
15. Kim DS, Kim JH, Lee GH, Kim HT, Lim JM, Chae SW, Chae HJ, Kim HR. p38 Mitogen-activated protein kinase is involved in endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced cell death and autophagy in human gingival fibroblasts. Biol Pharm Bull. 2010;33(4): 545-9.
16. Kim DS, Kim YK, Kim DS, Chae HJ, Park TS, Cho YI, Jeong SK. Low-density lipoprotein particle size in hepatic steatosis and metabolic syndrome. Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2010 Mar 22;2:18.
17. Lee GH, Ahn T, Kim DS, Park SJ, Lee YC, Yoo WH, Jung SJ, Yang JS, Kim S, Muhlrad A, Seo YR, Chae SW, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Bax inhibitor 1 increases cell adhesion through actin polymerization: involvement of calcium and actin binding. Mol Cell Biol. 2010 Apr;30(7):1800-13. Epub 2010 Feb 1.
18.. Lee GH, Yan C, Shin SJ, Hong SC, Ahn T, Moon A, Park SJ, Lee YC, Yoo WH, Kim HT, Kim DS, Chae SW, Kim HR, Chae HJ. BAX inhibitor-1 enhances cancer metastasis by altering glucose metabolism and activating the sodium-hydrogen exchanger: the alteration of mitochondrial function. Oncogene. 2010 Apr 8;29(14):2130-41. Epub 2010 Feb 1.
19. Shin YJ, Han SH, Kim DS, Lee GH, Yoo WH, Kang YM, Choi JY, Lee YC, Park SJ, Jeong SK, Kim HT, Chae SW, Jeong HJ, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Autophagy induction and CHOP under-expression promotes survival of fibroblasts from rheumatoid arthritis patients under endoplasmic reticulum stress. Arthritis Res Ther. 2010;12(1):R19. Epub 2010 Feb 1.
20. Cui Y, Piao CS, Ha KC, Kim DS, Lee GH, Kim HK, Chae SW, Lee YC, Park SJ, Yoo WH, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Measuring adriamycin-induced cardiac hemodynamic dysfunction with a proteomics approach. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2010 Sep;32(3):376-86.
21. Kim DS, Jeong SK, Kim HR, Kim DS, Chae SW, Chae HJ. Metformin regulates palmitate-induced apoptosis and ER stress response in HepG2 liver cells. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2010 Jun;32(2):251-7.
22. Piao CS, Gao S, Lee GH, Kim DS, Park BH, Chae SW, Chae HJ, Kim SH. Sulforaphane protects ischemic injury of hearts through antioxidant pathway and mitochondrial K(ATP) channels. Pharmacol Res. 2010 Apr;61(4):342-8. Epub 2009 Dec 3.
23. Yoon H, Kim DS, Lee GH, Kim JY, Kim DH, Kim KW, Chae SW, You WH, Lee YC, Park SJ, Kim HR, Chae HJ.Protective effects of sodium para-amino salicylate on manganese-induced neuronal death: the involvement of reactive oxygen species. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2009 Nov;61(11):1563-9.
24. Kim DS, Chae SW, Kim HR, Chae HJ. CO and bilirubin inhibit doxorubicin-induced cardiac cell death. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2009;31(1):64-70.
25. Kim HR, Cui Y, Hong SJ, Shin SJ, Kim DS, Kim NM, So SH, Lee SK, Kim EC, Chae SW, Chae HJ. Effect of ginseng mixture on osteoporosis in ovariectomized rats. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2008;30(2):333-45.
26. Kim DS, Ha KC, Kwon DY, Kim MS, Kim HR, Chae SW, Chae HJ. Kaempferol protects ischemia/reperfusion-induced cardiac damage through the regulation of endoplasmic reticulum stress. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2008;30(2):257-70. Erratum in: Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2008;30(4):937.
27. Chae HJ, Lee GY, Yang SK, Kim DS, Yun KJ, Kim EC, Kim HM, Chae SW, Kim HR. Effect of high molecular weight water-soluble chitosan on the trabecular bone and thickness in ovariectomized rats. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 2007;29(3-4):439-49.
28. Kim DS, Jeong SK, Kim HR, Kim DS, Chae SW, Chae HJ. Effects of triglyceride on ER stress and insulin resistance. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007 Nov 9;363(1):140-5. Epub 2007 Sep 4
29. Lee GH, Kim HK, Chae SW, Kim DS, Ha KC, Cuddy M, Kress C, Reed JC, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Bax inhibitor-1 regulates endoplasmic reticulum stress-associated reactive oxygen species and heme oxygenase-1 expression. J Biol Chem. 2007 Jul 27;282(30):21618-28. Epub 2007 May 24.
30. Kim DS, Woo ER, Chae SW, Ha KC, Lee GH, Hong ST, Kwon DY, Kim MS, Jung YK, Kim HM, Kim HK, Kim HR, Chae HJ. Plantainoside D protects adriamycin-induced apoptosis in H9c2 cardiac muscle cells via the inhibition of ROS generation and NF-kappaB activation. Life Sci. 2007 Jan 2;80(4):314-23. Epub 2006 Sep 26.
31. Kim DS, Kim HR, Woo ER, Kwon DY, Kim MS, Chae SW, Chae HJ. Protective effect of calceolarioside on adriamycin-induced cardiomyocyte toxicity. Eur J Pharmacol. 2006 Jul 10;541(1-2):24-32. Epub 2006 May 9.
32. Chae HJ, Ha KC, Kim DS, Cheung GS, Kwak YG, Kim HM, Kim YM, Pae HO, Chung HT, Chae SW, Kim HR. Catalase protects cardiomyocytes via its inhibition of nitric oxide synthesis. Nitric Oxide. 2006 May;14(3):189-99. Epub 2006 Jan 5.
33. Kim DS, Kim HR, Woo ER, Hong ST, Chae HJ, Chae SW. Inhibitory effects of rosmarinic acid on adriamycin-induced apoptosis in H9c2 cardiac muscle cells by inhibiting reactive oxygen species and the activations of c-Jun N-terminal kinase and extracellular signal-regulated kinase. Biochem Pharmacol. 2005 Oct 1;70(7):1066-78.
34. Chae HJ, Kim HR, Kim DS, Woo ER, Cho YG, Chae SW. Saeng-Ji-Hwang has a protective effect on adriamycin-induced cytotoxicity in cardiac muscle cells. Life Sci. 2005 Mar 18;76(18):2027-42.
35. Chae HJ, Yang SK, Kim DS, Kim HM, Chae SW, Keum KS, Kim HR. Ge-Jee-Bok-Ryung-Hwan induces apoptosis in human cervical carcinoma HeLa cells--an endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway--. Life Sci. 2004 Nov 5;75(25):2997-3016.