Skip Navigation
MUSC mobile menu


  • Winter Diversity Banner image

    MUSC celebrates the many cultures and traditions of our community members all year long

    "We are committed to creating an inclusive experience for the lives we touch."

Accommodating Students

Accommodating Students with Disabilities: A Quick Reference Guide

Fall 2017 Disability Support Services
A Division of Equal Employment/Affirmative Action Office

Print quick guide pdf

Print ADA Faculty Guide

When a student approaches you requesting accommodations...

  1. With no documentation to support the request - Refer him or her to the ADA College Coordinator (CC) for your department or the 504 ADA Student Coordinator.
  2. With medical documentation to support the request - Refer him or her to the CC or the 504 ADA Student Coordinator. (If you don't know who the CC is for your department, call the 504/ADA Student Coordinator's Office (843) 792-1282 or
  3. With a letter of Accommodation (LOA) from the CC - Read the letter and meet with the student to discuss accommodations.

When you meet with a student to discuss accommodations...

  1. Discuss the specifics of the implementation of the accommodations. For example, if the accommodation is extended time on tests, discuss when and where the test will be taken, who will proctor, how the student will obtain the test and where it will be left after completion.
  2. If you and the student disagree on how an accommodation willbe implemented, contact the CC or the 504 ADA Student Coordinator.
  3. If you believe that an accommodation will fundamentally alter the nature of your course, contact the CC.
  4. If you, the student and the CC are unable to resolve differences, contact the EEO/AA Program Manager and University ADA Coordinator Michael at 843-792-1282 or for grievance procedures.
  5. Note: Pending resolution of the dispute, the requested accommodation should be provided.

During the implementation of the accommodations, there is a problem or the accommodation doesn't seem to be working...

  1. Accommodations can be changed during the semester if all parties agree.
  2. Contact the CC who issued the Letter of Accommodation.
  3. The CC along with the 504 ADA Student Coordinator will facilitate alternative accommodations.

The student has given you a Letter of Accommodation, but you don't really know any details about the student's medical condition...

  1. Information about the student's medical condition is CONFIDENTIAL, and you are not entitled to any more information than is necessary to provide accommodations.
  2. Information that you do possess should not be shared with other students or faculty members except as necessary to provide accommodations.
  3. The student may share information about his or her medical condition with whomever he or she chooses.

The student disagrees with your method of providing an accommodation, and the CC or the 504 ADA Student Coordinator has not been able to facilitate a resolution...

  1. The student has the right to file a grievance with the EEO/Affirmative Action Director.
  2. The student, further, has the right to file a complaint with the state or federal authorities.
  3. Faculty members may also file a grievance with the EEO/Affirmative Action Director.

Some common accommodations include...

  1. One of the most common accommodations is time and one half on tests and exams. When this accommodation is requested, details including when and where the test will be taken, who will proctore, how the student will obtain the exam and where the student should drop off the exam must be addressed.
  2. Another accommodation is the use of note-takers and/or readers. This accommodation will be facilitated if you can identify students in the class who might be appropriate to assume this role. If the note-taker or reader is not a member of the class, or if an interpreter is used, it would be helpful for you to meet with the aide before class begins and to provide him/her with a list of any technical terms commonly used in the class.
  3. The accommodation of "books on tape" will require you to submit a syllabus several months in advance so that there is sufficient time to have your books read onto tape.
  4. An accessible classroom for people with physical disabilities ordinarily should not present a problem for the faculty member as the CC will take care of scheduling the class, but you may need to work with the CC or the 504 ADA Student Coordinator if the class must be conducted in a particular type of room, such as a lab or one with audio visual equipment.
  5. Some students may have medical conditions which require time away from class. Faculty members should work closely with the student and CC to ensure that work is made up in an appropriate and timely fashion.

If you have further questions...

  1. Contact your CC, your 504 ADA Student Coordinator.
  2. Check out the website on ADA Copmliance

"No other with qualified individual with a disability ... shall, solely by reason of her disability, be excluded from participation in, be denied teh benefit of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving federal financial assisstance ..."
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

"A public entity shall make reasonable modification in policies, practices, or procedures when the modifications are necessary to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability ..."
Title II of the American with Disabilities Act of 1990


View MUSC's Facebook page Follow MUSC on Twitter View the MUSC Health Youtube channel Read the MUSC Health blog circle arrow MUSC_TAG_SOLID_1C