Department of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
2017 Earl B. Higgins Award Call for Nominations
MUSC’s Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is pleased to invite nominations for the 2017 Earl B. Higgins Leadership in Diversity Awards. Established to honor the former director of minority affairs, the awards acknowledge the outstanding contributions, persistence and dedication individual members of the MUSC community (students, faculty, staff and healthcare professionals) have made towards enhancing and advancing diversity and inclusion at the Medical University of SC. The 2017 Earl B. Higgins Awards will be presented at a reception on Wednesday, April 5, 2017, from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm at the Wickliffe House on Ashley Avenue.
We seek nominations for three separate awards:
- The Earl B. Higgins 2017 Achievement in Diversity Award
- The Earl B. Higgins 2017 Student Leadership in Diversity Award
- The Earl B. Higgins 2017 MUSC Health Leadership in Diversity Award (new, 2017)
Nominations for either award should be individuals who have contributed significantly to diversity in three of the following five areas:
- Enriches diversity through student,faculty,staff and/or patient recruitment, retention and enrichment•Improves/enhances diversity through excellence in service to students,faculty, staff, patients, families, or visitors
- Advances two or more of the several targeted areas of the D&I strategic plan: education and training, engagement and inclusion, communications/community relations/outreach and impacting performance outcomes and assessment
- Recognizes and takes initiative to act upon potential opportunities to significantly affect/influence the organization's academic health center environment as it pertains to embracing diversity
- Demonstrates an understanding of the benefits of diversity within MUSC and throughout the community and promotes outcomes that “create an inclusive experience for the lives we touch.”
Nominees contributing in more than three areas are given greater consideration.
Nominations must include the nomination form, a resume and two letters of endorsement for each nominee. Please attach letters of endorsement with the nomination form.
Submissions must be received by 5PM, EST, Monday, February 6, 2017. Electronic submissions to email@example.com are recommended. However, packets may also be submitted via fax(843-792-1288) or mail (see below). Awardees will be announced March 6th, 2017.
If sending by fax or mail, please send to:
Willette S. Burnham-Williams, PhD, University Chief Diversity Officer
Chair, Selection Committee, Earl B. Higgins Award
Earl B. Higgins Award
Basic Sciences Building (BSB) Suite 104
Charleston, SC 29425-5020