Committment to Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the mission of the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action to ensure MUSC compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to non-discrimination and affirmative action. The EEO/Affirmative Action Office creates and monitors the MUSC Affirmative Action Plan and implements innovative programs to increase MUSC's awareness of and commitment to diversity, equity and affirmative action in the workplace. The Office is dedicated to preventing illegal discrimination and illegal harassment. Through educational programs, investigations and resolution of complaints, and oversight activities, the Office fosters an environment and culture that supports all members of the community.
- Diversity is not defined exclusively by race or gender. It extends to age, sex, religion, veteran's status, physical and mental ability and national origin or ancestry.
- Diversity among staff, students and faculty contributes to the richness of the University community and offers MUSC an opportunity to realize its excellence.
- Diversity is fostered by a culture that respects individual differences and where everyone is treated with courtesy and consideration.
- Freedom of expression is a core value, but must be exercised within the bounds of courtesy, sensitivity and respect.
- Affirmative action is one method of including historically underrepresented populations into the workforce. Therefore MUSC must develop an institutional philosophy based on the principles and ideals of affirmative action and an appreciation of a diverse workforce where members are able to succeed according to their abilities.
- Affirmative action does not require, and does not mean, quotas or preferment of unqualified over qualified individuals
- Increase diversity in the workforce through the application of affirmative action principles in the University's staffing processes
- Promote equal opportunity and equitable and non-discriminatory treatment for all campus community members in all aspects of employment and education through the development and implementation of effective complaint and investigative procedures and through ongoing monitoring of employment practices
- Through education, training and rapid response to complaints, ensure that the MUSC community is free of illegal harassment.