engineering and facilities
Energy Performance Contract
The Energy Performance Contract has resulted in the following savings. The bulk of the savings (75%) are seen in the following 5 areas:
- Lighting and Lighting Controls (27%)
- About 49,000 lights have been changed out. The original 4-lamp (130 Watts) fluorescent fixtures have been replaced by 2-lamp (50 watts) energy efficient fixtures.
- The new fixtures have already resulted in an annual saving of $664,700.
- Water Conservation Projects (21%)
- 1815 new low flush toilets
- 211 Urinals
- 2571 Flow Restrictors
- 100 Shower Heads
- The savings from these changes are $509,760 per year.
- EMS (Energy Management strategies) (15%)
- Elimination of third shift in Engineering & Facilities Department
- Automatic shut off for electricity
- Set up and set back for HVAC Systems (especially in non-clinical areas)
- These strategies have resulted in an annual savings of $342,826
- Fume Hood Upgrades (12%)
- 96 fume hoods have been replaced by a newer model that is safer and operates more efficiently than the older ones. The new hoods have four sliding doors that move side to side instead of the vertical sash: 50% less air is used.
- The new hoods have an automatic buffer to shut off the air when not in use and provide better protection for the researchers.
- The new hoods reflect an annual saving of $288,523
- Steam System Improvements (7%)
- 90 Steam Traps have been replaced or installed. This has resulted in less wasted steam, i.e. reduced energy use.
- Annual savings are estimated at $157,800