Skip Navigation
  finance and administration
engineering and facilities

Frequently Asked Questions

What major categories of services are available?

Emergency Maintenance 

Any unusual occurrence, utility malfunction, or equipment failure that presents an imminent danger to life or health or the potential for major damage to property is an emergency and should be reported immediately to the Service Call desk at 792-4119, 24 hours a day. Examples are: HVAC issues (too hot, too cold), electrical problems (lights out, no power), flooding, alarms, odors, stopped up commodes or drains, etc. 

Be prepared to give the following information: 

  • Accurate description of the problem or service needed
  • Full name and phone number of point of contact
  • Department
  • Room number or specific building location
  • E & F Equipment ID number if known

The message will be forwarded to the appropriate maintenance personnel for follow-up and action. The Service Call desk is a conduit for this information and does not track status of request. Service calls are tracked by the shop that they are assigned

Routine Maintenance 

This includes basic maintenance needs such as sticking doors, minor plumbing problems, replacing light bulbs, minor heating or air-conditioning needs, routine cleaning needs, debris removal, or repairs to classroom furniture or fixtures. These services can be obtained by submitting a work order request or contacting the appropriate Building Engineer for your area or building.

Click here for a list of building engineers
Click here to submit a work request online.

Elective Work Order Requests 

Elective work is work that is not related to the maintenance of building functions and occupant services including any changes or extensions to existing services to accommodate equipment installations, changes in room function, or for convenience. Service is typically charged to the requesting department and should be requested through your building engineer or by submitting a work request online.

Click here for a list of Building Engineers
Click here to submit a work request online.

Work requests submitted online are automatically forwarded to the appropriate Building Engineer who will contact the requestor for follow up information, clarification, and additional funding information if needed.


Upon request, Engineering and Facilities will provide two types of cost estimates to assist departments in budget preparation or project planning. Type 1 is a Budget Estimate and type 2 is a Detailed Estimate. There will be no charge for Budget Estimates as such estimates are based on general University standards and do not include detailed design information in arriving at the cost figures. Since these budgetary estimate figures are not based on a detailed investigation of the project specific circumstances, customers must be aware that there is a possibility of considerable deviations between the estimated and actual costs. Departments will typically use this type of estimate for internal funding requests and budgetary planning. The best point of contact for these comparable estimates is the Building Engineer assigned to that area. Requesting departments will be charged for Detailed Estimates, as this requires shop or engineering time for detailed investigation. Departments are required to get detailed estimates for large-scale renovations/projects. They are also highly recommended in instances where deviations greater than 10% between the estimated and actual costs are not acceptable to the department. Charges generally will run between $40 and $250 based upon the scope of the project. To request detailed estimates, please complete an online Work Request.

Who do I call regarding a construction contractor problem?

Call the Service Call desk at 792-4119, 24 hours a day and give the following information: 

  • Department
  • Full name and phone number of contact
  • Room number or specific building location
  • Accurate description of concern
  • Contractor name (if known)

The message will be forwarded to the appropriate construction inspector or project engineer for action.          

What priority is assigned to the various work categories?
Work will normally be prioritized according to the following parameters:
Emergency (5): Imminent threat to life, property, security or the environment. Warrants immediate response and mitigation – but not necessarily a permanent repair.

Examples include, but are not limited to:
• Downed electrical lines
• Broken gas line
• Gas leaks or small of gas leaks
• Heavy flood, broken pipes, water lines
• Overflowing toilets
• Electrical or water outages
• Elevator “stuck” with someone on board
• Inoperable exterior locks or interior locks on sensitive spaces
• Major equipment breakdown
• Environmental Equipment Failure such as Animal Room Controls
• Certain pest or animal control situations
• Fire Alarm sound (actual fire alarm)
• Failures pertaining to the BSL 3 Laboratory

Urgent (4): Urgent situations pose a threat of personal injury, equipment damage, or a serious disruption of University operations.

Examples include, but are not limited to:
• Temporary repairs conducted in an emergency that pose as a threat to personal injury
• Broken glass
• Inoperative switches, outlets or lights
• No air conditioning or heat in rooms with sensitive equipment
• Loss of refrigerated storage space
• Piping or roof leaks
• Toilets/urinals running constantly
• Clogged sink/toilet/shower/tub
• Non-emergency elevator repairs / any compliance code requirements
• Pest/animal control that could pose a harmful, unsafe condition
• ADA compliance issues, e.g. inoperative door opener, obstructed route
• Fire Marshal or code compliance corrective actions
• Broken, gushing, or misdirected irrigation device or sprinkler head
• Broken windows, doors or locks
• State vehicle safety deficiencies
• Fire Alarm trouble/Fire Alarm Panel

High (3): Work that does not fit the definition or urgent work but needs to be accomplished in an expedited time frame. Such work may be high profile in nature, have a short deadline date, or be requested from a high-ranking official such as a University President or Vice President.

Examples include, but are not limited to:
• Preparing for commencement
• Convocation
• Support for a high visibility event or ceremony
• A condition that reflects poorly on the University
• Graffiti
• All Preventive Maintenance work orders (PM’s)
• Corrective Maintenance work on critical equipment

Medium (2): Normal maintenance or service item that does not pose an immediate risk to facilities, systems, equipment or components. Requests are dispatched based on work load and priorities.

Examples include, but are not limited to:
• Set-up for certain special events
• Cracked glass replacement
• Changing light bulbs
• Broken furniture
• Renovations and Improvements
• Non-urgent charge backs
• Minor project planning
• Grounds maintenance
• Corrective Maintenance work on non-critical equipment
• Replacement of ceiling tiles

Low (1): All other work identified. 

Examples include, but are not limited to:
• Carpet Renewal Program
• Painting Renewal Program
• Cosmetic Work
• Hang Pictures/Bulletin Boards, etc…
• Replace Lights
• Other minor service calls

How do you determine who pays?

With respect to services provided by Engineering and Facilities, there is a landlord/tenant relationship between Engineering and Facilities and most departments at the University. As a landlord we are responsible for, and cover the cost of, the provision and maintenance of an appropriate environment and basic building services. 

As tenants, departments are responsible for funding discretionary work such as modifications and aesthetic upgrades. An IIT will be required prior to starting the work.

Open areas such as lobbies, corridors and general classroom space are maintained at the expense of Engineering and Facilities. 

Some self-supporting departments such as clinical and patient care areas (MUHA, UMA, CMH), and recharge or revenue producing areas such as Parking Management, are charged for all services provided in their areas. Engineering and Facilities receives no funding to maintain or repair these areas. 

If you have any questions regarding the status of your department with regard to cost sharing, please contact your Building Engineer.

Click here for a list of Building Engineers

What services can I expect to be provided at no charge?

The majority of services are provided at no charge to University areas. 

Subject to funds availability, the following are typical services that fall within this category: 

  • Classroom and office lighting. 
  • Emergency and outdoor lighting repair. 
  • Alarm maintenance. 
  • Ventilation systems maintenance. 
  • Building door, lock and window repair (University areas). 
  • Flooring repairs (excluding carpet replacement). 
  • Routine cleaning services. 
  • Trash removal. 
  • Drapery and carpet cleaning. 
  • Roof repair and maintenance. 
  • Grounds and landscape maintenance. 
  • Pest Control. 
  • Debris removal and flood control. 
  • Maintenance of the master clock system. 
  • Maintenance Painting. 
  • Repair/replace receptacles, thermostats, and heaters. 
  • Room temperature control - other than that related to equipment installations.
What are some of the typical chargeable services?


A variety of materials are available for purchase through Engineering and Facilities including:

  • Maintenance and cleaning materials available from our departmental stores. 
  • Manufactured items such as shelves, cabinets, office bulletin boards, display units, etc., including installation. 

Availability of such items is based on the workload of our Construction Section

Priority will be given to the provision of regular maintenance services such as: 

  • Elective construction
  • Elective painting 
  • Signage for individual rooms and desks 
  • Wall mounts for telecommunications equipment 
  • Discretionary replacement of draperies and blinds 
  • New Keys 


  • All operating services and materials provided in support of renovations.
  • Extensions to electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems to accommodate equipment installations, changes  in room function or convenience. 
  • Relocation of building services such as electrical, plumbing and ventilation for convenience. 
  • Minor renovations such as door and wall installations to accommodate equipment installations, changes in room function or convenience. 
  • Discretionary flooring upgrades. 
  • Painting for other than maintenance priorities, finishes for items manufactured by our Carpentry Shop. 
  • Water treatment equipment installed for convenience, including filters. 
  • Stand alone air-conditioning systems where not as a result of building equipment or occupant induced heating loads which are a discretionary requirement of the requesting department. 


  • Changing locks where not required for maintenance reasons. 
  • Installation of combination locks. 
  • Replacing lost or stolen keys. 
  • Power supplies for special events and/or energy consumed in support of revenue-generating activities. 
  • Cleaning for conferences and functions and after hours floor stripping/waxing. 
  • If work, either maintenance or modifications, is found to be the result of negligence, the responsible department will be charged.

How do I request chargeable services?

Chargeable services may be requested by submitting a Work Request online or by contacting your Building Engineer

Click here to submit a Work Request online.

Work Requests may be made for Estimates, in which case, the physical work will not proceed until the requestor confirms or accepts the estimate. Estimates are honored for 30 days from the date they are provided. Work Requests may also authorize the work to proceed without an estimate. In either case, requests must include billing information for the service requested and the description must clearly define if an estimate is being requested or the work is being authorized without an estimate.

What are my responsibilities as an occupant?

  • University occupants are responsible for turning off lights and office equipment, closing windows, locking their doors, and securing their rooms and areas when leaving. 
  • Occupants are requested not to make any permanent modifications to any room or area without the prior approval of Engineering and Facilities. 
  • No items shall be attached to any walls or doors in any building without prior authorization of Engineering and Facilities. 
  • Occupants are expected to utilize bulletin boards for posting information. 
  • Bulletin boards have been provided in general areas for posting of notices, etc.

What are Facilities versus Departmental funding responsibilities?

Funding for routine operations, maintenance, and repairs of resident instruction facilities is provided in the annual Facilities budget, with the exception of self-supporting units and patient care areas.  

Alterations to facilities, equipment repair, installation, or relocation; and repair, replacement, or movement of furnishings or amenities are the financial responsibility of departments. An IIT will typically be required prior to starting the work. Please contact your Building Engineer for those items. The following is a sample list of Facilities vs. Departmental responsibilities: 


  • Building structures: roofs, walls, windows, doors, floors, hardware.
  • Building systems: electrical, plumbing, heating, steam lines, air conditioning, fire suppression. 
  • Landscape and grounds, sidewalks, institute-owned streets. 
  • Lighting.
  • Elevators. 
  • Housekeeping services. 
  • Pest control. 
  • Trash removal. 
  • Staging/set-ups for official Institute business. 
  • Utilities. 


  • Laboratory equipment, cold boxes, specialized lab systems not essential to operation of building. 
  • Animal cages, cage washers, and other specialized animal cage equipment. 
  • Office, audiovisual and kitchen equipment; safes, furniture and cabinetry. 
  • Alteration of space for departmental requirements, installation or relocation of modular furniture. 
  • Carpeting, floor mats, drapes, curtains, blinds, and shades. 
  • Bulletin/directory boards, portable chalk/marker boards. 
  • Cost of materials issued from Facilities' storeroom. 
  • Wall ornaments, pictures, objets d'art. 
  • Changing locks, replacing keys. 
  • Vehicle acquisition/maintenance/fuel. 
  • Painting, other than scheduled maintenance. 
  • Non-routine custodial, grounds, or staging services. 

NOTE: No changes to building plumbing, electrical, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, or structural systems will be made by other than qualified Facilities mechanics, or without prior approval of the Facilities Office. 

Entities other than resident instruction

All Facilities services and utilities provided outside of resident instruction will be charged or billed to those entities requesting services. 

Other entities include, but are not limited to, the following: 

  • MUHA, UMA, CMH Bookstore, Vending, Food Services, Parking and Transportation, Student Health Services, Health Sciences Foundation, and Contractors. 

Users of utilities will be charged for any maintenance or repairs to supply lines from the point of meter location, or, if not metered, from the point of the divergence from the trunk line.


© Medical University of South Carolina | Disclaimer | 97 Jonathan Lucas Street, MSC 190, Charleston, South Carolina, 29425