engineering and facilities
Student Guidelines for Environmental Sustainability
As one of the signatories of the American College and University Presidents’ Climate Commitment, MUSC recognizes the importance of promoting sustainability of our environment. It is the ultimate goal of MUSC to utilize natural resources to meet our current needs while protecting and conserving these resources to meet the needs of future generations.
Students, as members of the MUSC community, can collectively make a significant difference in the utilization of natural resources; and, it is our intent to reaffirm our commitment to sustainability by presenting the following guidelines to assist students in identifying ways they can contribute in a positive way to the future environment of MUSC and on a larger scale, the world.
Students are encouraged to improve the environmental profile by raising awareness of and following good environmental practices which include the following guidelines:
· Reduce the environmental impact of MUSC events by assessing the impact of the event and by following the MUSC Sustainability Event Guidelines (e.g., coordinating with a local food bank to donate left-over food, utilizing biodegradable containers and paperless advertising, and recycling event products);
· Identify and utilize alternative transportation (e.g., bicycles, mass transit systems);
· Recycle and buy recycled products;
· Reuse by-products and minimize what is discarded;
· Dispose of toxic wastes (e.g., batteries, motor oil) according to the EPA recommendations to minimize negative environmental impact;
· Support local markets to avoid transportation over long distances;
· Purchase energy efficient products (e.g., Energy Star appliances, computers, home improvements);
· Consider the impact of purchasing imported items (e.g., environmental impact on the ecosystem in the country of origin);
· Conserve resources (e.g., turning off lights and computers when not in use);
· Print only when necessary and when necessary print double-sided using vegetable-based ink;
· Consider taking the MUSC Sustainability Pledge;
· Consider joining the Environment & Community Sustainability Committee;
· Participate in MUSC Sustainability Events; and,
· Find creative, sustainable solutions to meet needs and wants.
- Send suggestions using the Sustainability Suggestion Box
MUSC faculty and staff support students in their efforts to meet the above guidelines. It is important to recognize that these efforts are not intended to decrease the quality or quantity of students’ educational experiences, but rather to provide a healthier educational environment. By embracing these guidelines, MUSC will continue in our leadership role, setting an example for other universities, and our state and local communities to emulate.