Sustainability & Recycling - Waste Management
Proper waste management is essential to building sustainable and healthy communities. This involves learning how to responsibly and efficiently handle our resources from cradle to grave. Always use "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" as a hierarchy for waste management.
Recycling is the reprocessing of materials into new products. It prevents the waste of potentially useful materials, reduces the consumption of raw materials, reduces energy usage, and saves money on waste disposal. See links below for information on recycling at MUSC. Please refer to the "Recycling Guide" and other information below and call the Helpdesk at 843-792-4119 for service.
Visit the compost web page for information on composting and the Vermicompost Project (The Worm building).
- Green event planning
- Sustainable catering guide (PDF)
- Green purchasing (SC Environmentally Preferred Purchasing Policy)
- Reuse programs: Learn about the office and lab supply exchanges on campus.
- Reuse discounts: Bring your favorite cup, bottle, or thermos to work and use it instead of disposable cups. Pay just $.79 for any drink, soda, or coffee at the cafeteria.
- Surplus, University: Find used office furniture and equipment.
- Moving tips (PDF): Information that is handy when you are moving your lab or office.
- Water bottle filling station to encourage reusable containers.
- Request one for your area through the helpdesk: 843-792-4119
Trash / Landfill
- Dumpster request : Use this online form to request a dumpster.
- Construction and demolition waste: Learn the proper way to recycle C&D waste.
- Occupational safety:Information on chemical waste.
- Risk management: Information on other hazardous waste.
- Radiation safety: Information on radioactive materials.