grants & contracts accounting
Cost Sharing means mandatory or voluntary effort expended on one account and paid for by another account (typically a non-sponsored account).
- Mandatory cost sharing is required by some sponsors and is stated (quantifiable) on the Notice of Grant Award (NGA) or in the grant proposal.
- Voluntary committed cost sharing is not required by the sponsor, but becomes mandatory when included in the proposal.
- Voluntary uncommitted cost sharing is when actual effort exceeds committed effort (not quantified in the proposal).
Examples (not all-inclusive):
- Activities funded by Cost Share Projects (nonsponsored/unrestricted funds with project description begins with "cost share").
- Activities which directly benefit Sponsored Activities but are funded by non-sponsored/unrestricted funds.