grants & contracts accounting
Incremental Teaching/Clinical Time
Incremental Teaching/Clinical Time - That portion of time which represents any additional time attending spent with patients providing services due to instruction involving teaching and training activities when degree candidates, interns, residents and fellows were present. Also includes activities related to education of degree candidates, interns, residents and fellows outside of the clinical setting.
Examples (not all-inclusive):
- OR procedure: A case took 3 hours, but without the instructional component would have completed the case in 2 hours. The 2 hour effort would be reported in Clinical Instruction, the 1 hour effort would be reported in Incremental Time.
-Includes clinical time spent with the patient that goes above the time which the attending could have provided the same service without housestaff present.
- Lectures and conferences with housestaff as primary target.
- Administrative time specifically related to Graduate Medical Education (GME) programs.
- Lecture/conference preparation time if related primarily to housestaff.
- Housestaff evaluation and/or discipline.
- Housestaff recruitment, interviews, etc.