Setting Up a Biosafety Level 2 Laboratory
This page is intended as a guide for researchers setting up Biosafety Level 2 (BSL2) laboratories. Adherence to this guide will result in compliance with the CDC's guidelines (Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, ed. 5) and facilitate passing a lab inspection conducted by the Biosafety Officer.
Equipment and Supplies for Mammalian/Viral Culture
- Certified biosafety cabinet
- Vacuum trap for liquid waste
- HEPA filtered vacuum line
- Method for decontaminating pipets
- *Recommended* Designated cloth or disposable lab coats for viral culture
- *Recommended* Centrifuges with sealed rotors or safety cups to contain aerosols
- Examples with ordering information
- Personnel should follow the lab's safety protocol.
- All liquid waste should be inactivated prior to disposal. Bleach should be added to a final concentration of 10% and allowed 30 minutes to inactivate infectious agents.
- Solid waste should be decontaminated with 10% bleach and/or autoclaved prior to disposal.
Coming Soon: Guidance for Research Involving