The following are required to facilitate conducting a laboratory inspection:
- The presence of at least one laboratory representative possessing knowledge of the biological agents (recombinant DNA, organisms and toxins) and procedures used in the laboratory.
- The PI must be available to sign the paperwork at the conclusion of the inspection, which will generally last less than one hour.
- A copy of the lab safety protocol must be provided to the Biosafety Officer. Template safety protocols are available for download.
- The safety protocol must be signed by the individuals working in the laboratory indicating that they have read, understand, and agree to follow the safety protocol.
- A sheet signed by the individuals working in your laboratory indicating that they have received agent specific training as described in page 17 of the MUSC Biosafety Policy.
The following page details laboratory requirements to pass inspection.
For more information about what the inspection will cover, please refer to the appropriate sections of Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, Ed. 5 that refer to criteria for Biosafety Level 1 and Biosafety Level 2 laboratories.